Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCFAnes2010

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Overall Rating:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]4.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Teaching Rating:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]4.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Atmosphere Rating:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]5.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Research Rating:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]5.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Schedule:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Having just completed my anesthesia internship at the Cleveland Clinic, I can look back on last year and say it was a great internship as a whole. The year was more of a transitional year than a medicine year. It's tailored to be anesthesia relevant so you don't waste your time being scutted out in surgery/internal medicine. .
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Everyone rotates through: OR, Hospitalist, ER, Pain, SICU, Preop Clinic, CT ICU. Other rotations which were assigned at random: NeuroICU, Respiratory ICU, Peds (Inpatient, PICU, and NICU), PACU, TPN, Cardiac ICU. My typical day varied based on rotation but I never came close to reaching 80hrs. There is one rotation in the Cardiac ICU that people reported reaching 80hrs but not everyone has the rotation. Those who did have this rotation thought it was an excellent learning experience since CCF has been #1 in cardiac for over a decade. .
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Don't be intimidated by the ICU months. Not all ICU months are call months. In fact, CT ICU is no call/no weekends. In addition, you're always supervised by a senior and run by excellent fellows and attendings. Teaching is a priority on ICU rotations. I only had 3 rotations in which I started the day at 6:30. The rest of my rotations started 7:30 or later. Days typically ended at 5. People had at most 5-6 months of call which varied from 4-6 calls/month. .
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Teaching:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Majority of the faculty are focused on education. The faculty are constantly under review by the institution to maintain education, clinical teaching, and research. The online evaluation system allows for staff and residents to evaluate each other and for residents to evalutate the rotations. Rotations on other services in the past have been eliminated when evaluations indicate scutwork/poor teaching. Anesthesia didactics for interns take place at Tuesday afternoon lectures by senior residents. Other didatics include Wednesday morning grand rounds, Thursday evening lectures for all residents. Other lectures also take place depending on other services (i.e. Peds grand rounds when on a Peds month, etc.)..
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Atmosphere:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The camaraderie among peers is excellent and undoubtedly one of the highlights of the program. Senior resident become instant older brothers and sisters. The fact that there are 4 chief residents ensures that all concerns and issues are being reflected back to the program director. There are 4 other residents who are research coordinators that match faculty with residents who are interested in projects. As an intern, I had plenty of time to find a research project, complete an abstract, and start a manuscript. The physical environment is well kept by environmental services, multimedia displays and patient liasons are dispersed throughout the hospital to welcome patients and families. The international cafe serves a wide selection of foods for people who come from all over the world. Other choices inlude Starbucks, La Salsa, McDonalds, and Au Bon Pain. The security of the campus is enforced by the CCF police and not security guards. There is a substantial percentage of FMGs in the program, a majority of which have already been in practice for many years and become valuable colleagues. Being from a major city on the east coast, I was surprised by the abundance of culture, nightlife, and retail that Cleveland had to offer. The few call months and and easy work hours made it easy to be comfortable in a new city. .
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Research:.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The Resident EXperience moonlighting program (REX) stands out in this program. Additional hours worked past 5:00pm in the OR is compensated as moonlighting at a very competitive rate. These hours are included as part of the 80hr rule. In other words, no resident works over 80hrs even WITH moonlighting, which is built into the program. Each resident also receives a generous educational stipend for use on books, computers, etc. None of my friends from med school have a stipend that comes close, if they even have one. The program will pay for you to travel to as many meetings as you are invited to present at. Drawbacks are obviously the size of the program. It's easy to be forgotten if you choose to be forgettable. Most graduates stay at the hospital for fellowship since the programs are so strong. However, seniors have told me that practice opportunities are not even a concern. The amount of cardiac cases one does as a resident at CCF is acknowledged in the field..

Members don't see this ad.

I just set up my interview with CC and am wondering if you could shed some light on a couple of things I've heard from past interviewees. I'd heard that both Peds and OB weren't particularly strong given the hospital's beginnings and that, in the past, residents had to schlep out to Akron for their Peds training. Is this still the case? If not, where do you do your OB, Peds rotations?

Thanks - this will help me out a lot!

I know that Case has an AA program and Metro Hospital anesthesist staff is 50% AA. Does CCF have any AA? CCF should start an AA program too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding Peds: as of last year, we no longer go to Akron. Peds is now strictly at the main CCF campus where there are Peds ORs. The CCF Children's Hospital is also on the main campus.
Regarding OB: I've heard very postive things about the OB rotation from seniors. You go to Hillcrest which is an offsite high volume center and do a TON of OB.
In addition: historically no trauma experience. We now rotate through Huron for one month trauma.