Surgery > Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maskchamp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm a first year resident and heard an interesting comment Actually, didn't really upset me but was a bit confused and didn't actually know what to think so I wanted to know your opinions.

A surgeon at the hospital I work at who is actually very nice and great, no beef whatsoever with anyone, told me Anesthesia is important, but the surgery is much more difficult. He said that it takes years to learn how to remove a GBM properly, but central lines, pharmacology, incubations, epidurals, etc are important but things he can learn in a few weeks. I guess you put 2 central lines in a day, and after a month you've put in 20, you're pretty set?

I guess they can right? I know the surgeon and the anesthesiologists have their own job, and work together. But an anesthesiologist can't perform surgery, but if needed, a surgeon can intubate, put a line in, push the drugs, etc and can learn in a few weeks?

Not sure what to think. I wouldn't say it changes my opinion of our job, but I had never heard that before. Not in medical school, and not until now just a few months into my residency.

Please me know your thoughts,
Merci

Members don't see this ad.

Lol pharmacology in a few weeks. Good one. And I don't what what sort of incubations people are doing? Maybe it's a new technique I haven't heard of? Honestly, this was a poor attempt at a troll.

Reactions: 1 user
wedding-crashers-jackass.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I learned how to square knot as a MS1. And I learned how to cut steak with a knife when I was a toddler. It seems pretty easy to me? Is it really that hard to poke a few holes in the abdomen and use an instrument to remove bowel?

In all seriousness, it takes more technical skills t to sew with a 7.0 suture with a 4mm vessel than it is to tie a knot on a central line with a 3-0 suture. But when it comes down to it, all complex things can be reduced down to the basic actions. The mitral valve surgeons make fun of the aortic valve surgeons because all they're doing in sewing in two big circles. Different specialties have different levels of technical skills required.

To show him what he's missing, I would have responded: "man, I learned how to type on a keyboard in middle school, therefore internal medicine must be even easier".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all,

So I'm a first year resident and heard an interesting comment Actually, didn't really upset me but was a bit confused and didn't actually know what to think so I wanted to know your opinions.

A surgeon at the hospital I work at who is actually very nice and great, no beef whatsoever with anyone, told me Anesthesia is important, but the surgery is much more difficult. He said that it takes years to learn how to remove a GBM properly, but central lines, pharmacology, incubations, epidurals, etc are important but things he can learn in a few weeks. I guess you put 2 central lines in a day, and after a month you've put in 20, you're pretty set?

I guess they can right? I know the surgeon and the anesthesiologists have their own job, and work together. But an anesthesiologist can't perform surgery, but if needed, a surgeon can intubate, put a line in, push the drugs, etc and can learn in a few weeks?

Not sure what to think. I wouldn't say it changes my opinion of our job, but I had never heard that before. Not in medical school, and not until now just a few months into my residency.

Merci

Is he a neurosurgeon? Seems interesting he would compare removing a brain tumor with doing routine anesthesia procedures that is taught to 2nd year residents.

Please delete this thread. pointless question that gets us nowhere
What's a troll? English is not my native language. I guess I'll delete it. Didn't mean to start anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.