Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CCF took 2 in house resident for Cards fellows, 4 for GI, 2 for nephro, 1 for allergy

It looks like for GI and Hem/Onc, ccf residents usually do pretty well both in house and elsewhere (I think GI is a sweet deal to do residency there end up in CCF, Mayo, UCLA, Indiana).

For cards, it seems like well regarded cards fellowship have something against CCF? Outside of CCF, they don't fare too well? All the places seem kind of random in respective region. (ex. for TX, lubbock? instead of dallas/houston, for NY, brooklyn, instead of big names in manhattan, kentucky instead of vandy, darmouth instead of boston...etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

The other day, a resident at a program in the cleveland area commented that "here you truly manage your own patients, unlike at the Cleveland Clinic, where you have to check with your attending if you want to order some Tylenol." ... Now, of course, he was joking... I'm sure you don't need to check with anybody to order Tylenol... but I've come across the general sentiment too many times that [at least a good portion of the time] as an intern, you don't really get to truly manage your patients at the Cleveland Clinic the way you might at other programs.

I do want to match into a sub-speciality, and I have little doubt that the Cleveland Clinic will allow me to do that [I actually think it's kind of ridiculous that people would be arguing about CCFs ability to get people into quality fellowships - that's the one thing I don't have any concerns about] ... but more importantly I want to become a competent internist who - even after intern year - knows how to get down and dirty and handle the nitty gritty of common medical programs like the back of my hand because I've done it myself a zillion times (not because I watched how other people managed problems). Am I going to get that at Cleveland Clinic? If the answer is yes, I'm sold.

Fellows dont write notes, admit patients or do procedures. On services where there are fellows, they are there acting just overseeing the service.

So fellows don't do the grunt work. Okay. But do they do the brain work (the important stuff)? Do they determine what actually ends up being THE plan? Do they really not do the more advanced procedures? Do interns/residents feel completely comfortable going straight to the attending?

Finally, I just wanted to mention one thing. Whoever emailed justwise and threatened him or asked him to stop posting his experiences at CCF: that is a rotten thing to do, you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm certainly ashamed of you.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As it is the start of a new year I decided to post once again. I am not a recruiter for CCF just a resident starting PGY3 tomorrow. This year CCF has chosen high quality residents. Average step 1 score is ~240 (no joke). To reiterate, this is NOT a fellow run residency program. General medicine and cardiology have no fellows on team. GI, oncology, Renal inpt services have fellows but they never admit/workup pts. If anything they actually do scut work (like talk to case managers) that otherwise residents would have done. Overall I feel the program is great for seeing end stage diseases. It is a large program but is run very well. If I had to do it all over again, I would. Whatever you have read in the past about the program is false or has changed. Hours are very reasonable especially for efficient resident. Remember no matter what anybody else says at the end of the day CCF is a world renown institution and will always make your CV an impressive one.

As it is the start of a new year I decided to post once again. I am not a recruiter for CCF just a resident starting PGY3 tomorrow. This year CCF has chosen high quality residents. Average step 1 score is ~240 (no joke). To reiterate, this is NOT a fellow run residency program. General medicine and cardiology have no fellows on team. GI, oncology, Renal inpt services have fellows but they never admit/workup pts. If anything they actually do scut work (like talk to case managers) that otherwise residents would have done. Overall I feel the program is great for seeing end stage diseases. It is a large program but is run very well. If I had to do it all over again, I would. Whatever you have read in the past about the program is false or has changed. Hours are very reasonable especially for efficient resident. Remember no matter what anybody else says at the end of the day CCF is a world renown institution and will always make your CV an impressive one.

How many FMGs this years intern class? Give me a rough percentage.

I'm guessing 40% FMGs/DOs. Among other things, for residency CCF suffers from the fact that Cleveland is a tough place to attract housestaff. I mean, it's no thriving, safe, beautiful metropolis like Baltimore, St Louis or Detroit are.

Also, how on earth did you ever have time to amass 30,000 posts JDH?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm guessing 40% FMGs/DOs. Among other things, for residency CCF suffers from the fact that Cleveland is a tough place to attract housestaff. I mean, it's no thriving, safe, beautiful metropolis like Baltimore, St Louis or Detroit are.

Also, how on earth did you ever have time to amass 30,000 posts JDH?

FMG need high step scores to get noticed which is why I asked.

I've been here awhile I suppose. Also a good number of my posts are werewolf related.

Well, there has been a considerable discussion going on here about the quality of residents at CCF. Here are my two cents based on recent information I got from some of the current residents. The clinic claims that they have a 95% ABIM pass rate! I mean are you kidding me! This year ALL three of their chief residents flunked! (EJ, ML and MC). Although MC resigned from the chiefs position earlier but that's really not an explanation. Now the remaining two have to manage a residency program comprising almost 150 residents and its utter chaos! All you get everyday is yelling from the cranky chiefs ( who no doubt blame the additional workload for blowing away their boards!). Their PD offered to resign last year as well but for some reason they couldn't find a replacement. I am not sure that a PD so desperate to leave cares any more about the programs quality. I am not saying that it is a bad place to interview but asking the PD about this board fiasco is quite reasonable. At least some answers are needed before we rank them.

all 3 of the chiefs failed the boards at the cleveland clinic?

can someone explain why the number of people who did cards dropped from 21 to 16 to 6 over a 3 year span?

Unfortunately yes! All the chiefs. Its shameful for a program which has the reputation of taking book savvy high scoring DOs and IMGs. Some of them are exceptional no doubt so no offense to them. But come on ALL three chiefs..That certainly is something.

Well, there has been a considerable discussion going on here about the quality of residents at CCF. Here are my two cents based on recent information I got from some of the current residents. The clinic claims that they have a 95% ABIM pass rate! I mean are you kidding me! This year ALL three of their chief residents flunked! (EJ, ML and MC). Although MC resigned from the chiefs position earlier but that's really not an explanation. Now the remaining two have to manage a residency program comprising almost 150 residents and its utter chaos! All you get everyday is yelling from the cranky chiefs ( who no doubt blame the additional workload for blowing away their boards!). Their PD offered to resign last year as well but for some reason they couldn't find a replacement. I am not sure that a PD so desperate to leave cares any more about the programs quality. I am not saying that it is a bad place to interview but asking the PD about this board fiasco is quite reasonable. At least some answers are needed before we rank them.

The clinic has an 88% board pass rate from program info present on the Internet.

Residents from even top programs fail. I don't know if the three chiefs at ccf failed or not but even people at the best residency programs fail sometimes.

Look I am not the biggest proponent of ccf's IM program but it is nowhere near as bad as the above poster makes it seem.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, thanks for the personal attack on me. And for your information I am MS-4 at a reputed school right here in Ohio and not some troll.Lol. I just wanted to put forward some facts and gauge everyone's opinion. Anyway, good luck to everyone on the interview trail this season.

I want to underline the board pass rates are a bull**** way to look at any program.

Whatever problems CCF may have as a program on some levels, as pointed out by people who have been there, boards is a tough test BUT a fair test. People who fail do so because they did not prepare properly or adequately. You can't walk into the test after skimming questions for a few days and expect to pass.

I'll refer you to ABIM board thread regarding this. I suggest as bare minimum two months of formal review and a month of questions (this would be working on review and or questions at least two hours in the evenings on most days [at least 5], and 5-6 hours on one of the weekend days) +/- a review course (not every one has the cash to drop on one). And that's the minimum. Start studying formally in January before you take it with questions the last two months leading up to it and you should pass no problems. ABIM is not out to screw anyone, but you have to KNOW the material. The two people from my class who did not pass, did so because they simply didn't study enough and they both admit it. They both studied serious the second try and passed no problem.

If you fail boards it's not because you went to Hopkins or MGH or CCF or no-name community shop, it's because you didn't try hard enough.

I agree with you on the preparation strategy. However, I wouldn't use a strong word like 'BS' to just completely ignore the ABIM pass rates in assessing a programs quality. It is certainly not THE most important consideration, however it is also not a trivial fact especially when it comes to all the chiefs in the program. Everyone should have the autonomy to judge that himself but what's concerning is the factors that have lead to this outcome.

I agree with you on the preparation strategy. However, I wouldn't use a strong word like 'BS' to just completely ignore the ABIM pass rates in assessing a programs quality. It is certainly not THE most important consideration, however it is also not a trivial fact especially when it comes to all the chiefs in the program. Everyone should have the autonomy to judge that himself but what's concerning is the factors that have lead to this outcome.

Of course you clearly know more than me as a medical student and someone who has not only not been in an Internal Medicine training program or completed an Internal Medicine residency and has not prepared for or taken the ABIM Board Examination.

You are correct, we should just allow everyone to use their "autonomy to judge" who is full of horse**** and who is not.

Can anyone tell me if this is real life.

I did have a long mouse experiment yesterday and fell into bad very late, so it is perhaps that I am still in bed and having a dream?

I am not sure what your motivation is but I don't think you are the best person to judge a program without having been even interviewed there. CCF is regarded as one of the best medical centers in the country (perhaps in the world). I know that does not make there IM residency program one of the best and it probably is not based on the many other posts in this forum. But judging a residency program by its board pass rate is probably one of dumbest thing one can do. Just like going to a top medical school does not guarantee that you are going to do well on step I/II, going to a top residency program does not guarantee you are going to pass the boards with flying colors. Doing well on any of the board exams requires individual preparation. Passing the board exam is more of a reflection of one's willingness to prepare/ability to learn rather than a residency program's ability to teach.

I would. It is somewhat of a worthless metric.

Last edited:
Your post seems to suggest that the best programs must have maximum failures in the boards! All I want from my post is to spark a healthy debate on the quality of Ccf im program.

Your post seems to suggest that the best programs must have maximum failures in the boards! All I want from my post is to spark a healthy debate on the quality of Ccf im program.

That's the main point you gleaned from his post? It's an unreliable marker and says very little, if anything, about the quality of the program, overall training or teaching.

reasonable

Last edited:
Well I don't know since when it became a requirement for every US medical graduate to be a native English speaker! I am not sure what vested interests you have against foreign born persons but try venting your frustration out with the director of this unit you are talking about or your program director. Even if you have slightest amount of brains you would understand my point here.

Well I don't know since when it became a requirement for every US medical graduate to be a native English speaker! I am not sure what vested interests you have against foreign born persons but try venting your frustration out with the director of this unit you are talking about or your program director. Even if you have slightest amount of brains you would understand my point here.

What are you talking about? You completely missed my point. This wasn't a rant about foreign people, I was saying your posts are incredibly suspect. CCF's IM program attracts a lot of FMGs. You recently created an account, claim to be a medical student and seem to be foreign born. So, the implication is that you are an FMG trying to get a spot by turing others off from the program.

What are you talking about? You completely missed my point. This wasn't a rant about foreign people, I was saying your posts are incredibly suspect. CCF's IM program attracts a lot of FMGs. You recently created an account, claim to be a medical student and seem to be foreign born. So, the implication is that you are an FMG trying to get a spot by turing others off from the program.

excellent-mr-burns-467x198.gif

This baseless and prejudiced allegation is unacceptable .You may wanna think whatever you want to. However, no aspect of my information pertaining to all the chiefs failing ABIM is false. You probably get a balloon pump inflated in your ass by your FMG boss every time you drag your lazy butt in the ICU and then project your rants here.

This baseless and prejudiced allegation is unacceptable .You may wanna think whatever you want to. However, no aspect of my information pertaining to all the chiefs failing ABIM is false. You probably get a balloon pump inflated in your ass by your FMG boss every time you drag your lazy butt in the ICU and then project your rants here.

strong work here

He's a cards fellow at CCF, doofus.

Lol. I know ;)
Or maybe he is an average guy trying to secure an interview at cards fellowship and dissuading other applicants by falsely depicting how mean and prejudiced cards fellows are at CCF.Lol

Last edited:
This baseless and prejudiced allegation is unacceptable .You may wanna think whatever you want to.

Ok. Well you've provided zero evidence to the contrary. So where are you a medical student then?

douchenozzle said:
However, no aspect of my information pertaining to all the chiefs failing ABIM is false.

Yeah you're probably right on this. Again, don't think this necessarily means too much.

FMGinDeNile said:
You probably get a balloon pump inflated in your ass by your FMG boss every time you drag your lazy butt in the ICU and then project your rants here.

Not really but that's kinda kinky. While I really like my boss, I think that would be crossing some sort of line. I mean it's not like he's a priest or something.

Lol. I know ;)
Or maybe he is an average guy trying to secure an interview at cards fellowship and dissuading other applicants by falsely depicting how mean and prejudiced cards fellows are at CCF.Lol

What?

Last edited:
To Captain MD,

I am a PGY-2 resident at the Cleveland Clinc, who is an American MD graduate and was a very competitive candidate coming out of medical school, who interviewed at many of the "big name/highly ranked" residency programs. I moved across the country to come to this program, and I have never regretted my decision. In regards to your comments regarding our residency program, they are absolutely false and not substantiated by any means. In regards to our chief residents, we have some of the brightest chief residents in the country, and are privileged to have such people leading our program. Your facts are wrong, our chiefs did NOT fail their ABIM. This year, they actually did not take their ABIM exam, in order to better serve our upcoming Intern class, and our growing program, as there were only two chiefs, instead of the usual three. We did have a third chief who left the program, because she decided to pursue a second residency in Ophthalmology. It had absolutely nothing to do withour program.

In regards to the size of our program, again, your facts are wrong. I am not sure where you are getting your false facts from, and you should definitely check them before posting. You mentioned that our program has 150 residents, and that it is chaotic. Our program, in fact, boasts 180 residents and is one of the most smoothly run programs I could have ever seen. As a senior resident, I have the autonomy to run my own teams and make decisions on my own patients, using my staff/fellows as advisors. Cleveland Clinic is privileged in that our floor services are not only Internal Medicine. We have the opportunity to have inpatient Gastroenterology, inpatient Cardiology, inpatient Nephrology services, among others, giving us the opportunity to get exposed to these services, whereas other places only offer exposure through consult services. I interviewed at multiple different programs, where this was not the case. This is not by any means a fellow run program, except in our Coronary Intensive Care Unit (which is fellow driven as we have some of the sickest cardiac patients in the country, which definitely necessitates fellow level care). Residents are given the autonomy to do procedures (intubations, lines, thoras, paras, etc) when they ask for it and are, in fact, encouraged to do so, when available.

Yes, we do have a high clinical volume, but that is the advantage of our program. If you compare us to smaller community programs around the area, they probably do have 100% ABIM pass rates. They do likely have more opportunities to sit down and study all day, but when do they see cases like Necrolytic Acral Erythema (I'll bet you had to google that one, CaptainMD), Segmental Arterial Mediolysis, MELAS, Cardiac Sarcoid, Leishmeniasis, etc. We are given more opportunities in clinical volume, pathology, research, and fellowship opportunities than the average Internal Medicine Resident.

Lastly, in regards to our leadership, our Program Director is stepping down, not because of the quality of our program/ABIM rates, but because he is one of the longest running PD's in the country, averaging above 10 years of leadership. In regards to our chiefs, they are not "angry/yelling" as you mentioned. In fact, they are incredibly flexible in terms of schedule changes, and personal issues. One time, I went into the chiefs office with a personal problem at 6PM on a Friday, and they both stayed with me for an hour until we fixed it. I feel extremely privileged and lucky to be such a part of a prestigious program. I know I will get into a competitive fellowship program, and I will always have the proud name of CCF behind me. Thank you for your comments, CaptainMD, but definitely check your sources again.

Reactions: 1 users
To texastillidie
Well, you can try to suck up to your chiefs and PD by writing this well planned and drafted 'official' response. You could have probably left it for them to address with the applicants directly but obviously you had to be the programs hero! Maybe they will throw some candy your way while making lives of rest of the residents miserable. Again, I don't wanna speculate and obviously I am gonna hear similar things from the program when I interview there next month. And by the way my sources are some of your own third year residents so I can very well trust the information provided by these friends rather than some guy trying to get a lollipop from the angry chiefs. I am sure that is the only way to become a favorite in a program full of 180 unhappy people. Nevertheless, I will again reiterate that there are some HARD facts which your program may hide from you (I think chiefs not taking the test is a smart way to cover up your ass but unfortunately it is a lie). I am not saying that your program is a bad place to train because of this. I am only trying to table some questions whose answers most applicants (at least all US grads) would expect when interviewing.

Yup because I came onto a thread about CCF's fellowship and out of the blue started trying to depict the CCF cardiology program in a bad light so that others would think twice about applying... oh wait, that was you in this thread.

Nothing personal man. Was just having a bad day at a stupid OBGYN rotation. I am glad I am never going back there again.

To texastillidie
Well, you can try to suck up to your chiefs and PD by writing this well planned and drafted 'official' response. You could have probably left it for them to address with the applicants directly but obviously you had to be the programs hero! Maybe they will throw some candy your way while making lives of rest of the residents miserable. Again, I don't wanna speculate and obviously I am gonna hear similar things from the program when I interview there next month. And by the way my sources are some of your own third year residents so I can very well trust the information provided by these friends rather than some guy trying to get a lollipop from the angry chiefs. I am sure that is the only way to become a favorite in a program full of 180 unhappy people. Nevertheless, I will again reiterate that there are some HARD facts which your program may hide from you (I think chiefs not taking the test is a smart way to cover up your ass but unfortunately it is a lie). I am not saying that your program is a bad place to train because of this. I am only trying to table some questions whose answers most applicants (at least all US grads) would expect when interviewing.

so if you think so little of the program and the people involved, why are you interviewing there

Reactions: 2 users
so if you think so little of the program and the people involved, why are you interviewing there
Because Cleveland area is home :). I will reserve my thoughts on how low or high quality it is until after I interview. I sincerely wish that this speculation is false because there is no place like home but I don't wanna have any regrets hence the purpose of starting this critical post.

Addressed not to CaptainMD, but to all others who might have some misconceptions about CCF reading his post.

I am a PGY 2 at the Cleveland Clinic, Ohio. Having seen the Clinic as an intern and a senior, I think I can give a better insight into my program, than the rumors out there. I shall discuss the fears/apprehensions the applicants have and give my two cents on them.

Common concerns

- Chiefs :
Addressing to CaptainMD's concern, as my co-resident (Texastillidie) mentioned, they did not fail, they did not give the boards this year given these are probably the busiest chief's in the country. If you want proof, ask your " trusted source " from PGY 3 after his Academic Half day on Friday, and if you have some shame left after that, withdraw your false post.

Then, coming to a more relevant concerns, have there been any issues with the chiefs? You need to understand they are nice guys, both ML ( sorry Mani, ML is kinda appealing :p ) and EJ. But they cannot give us everything we ask for. There have been times when I felt frustrated and thought that they could do a better job, but then, overall, they are only working to make the program stronger, even if it may not be particularly pleasing for me. I felt the same frustration on my chiefs last year, but looking back, I think they did an excellent job. But no way are they making the program chaotic. A few things which I may disagree with are mandatory Academic Half Day attendance, mandatory grand rounds attendance, less flexibility to make our own schedule, issues with going for conferences where you are not presenting by taking days off etc. Again, not perfect, but no where as gloomy a picture as painted by CaptainMD.

- Program Director :
Positives : Dr Nielsen
I wish Dr Nielsen could have stayed longer as our PD- amazing guy, loved by all.

Negatives : Search for new leadership
Will be big shoes to fill for the new guy. Not decided yet - search has been going on for last 12 months I think - the best part, the new PD applicants are asked to present to us for an hour on Thursdays -none of the ones we have seen so far impressed us.

- Fellow Driven :
Positive :
Let me make it very clear, none of floors, clinics, or consults are fellow driven. I run these service as a PGY-2. MICU is NOT FELLOW RUN , except for procedures, though I did get to put in central lines etc as intern, but not as many as I would have liked. Smaller procedures like paracentesis, thoracentesis and LPs are not that big of a deal. Don't know how other programs fare in this regards.

Negative :
The only place which is fellow driven is CICU, but then we do understand that this is probably the sickest and most advanced CICU in the world, CCF cardiology would not be number one, if all patients are left to the residents. We need supervision at this stage. They take two residents into their fellowship each year, if you are good, you may end up running the CICU as a fellow, then give all the autonomy you want to the residents.

- Teaching :
Positive :
I actually feel that there is too much teaching, I am not kidding. We have at 7:15 am teaching sessions Monday - Wednesday on our clinic and consult rotations. Wednesdays I go to my PGY-2 Academic half day for 3 hours - protected time ( most lectures are nice ). Thursday mornings we have Grand Rounds. Tuesday and Friday I can attend PGY-1 and PGY-3 academic half days, but I guess I use my free time at lunch on those days enjoying free food with my friends. Friday mornings we also have clinical case conference for an hour. Besides, the best teaching takes place during rounds. You need to remember that we have the best sub-specialty staffs in the country. I had cardiology inpatients, GI inpatients, besides oncology , pulmonary, medicine , micu , and nephrology floors in my first year. We get to learn from the best in their fields, which is something you will not find in most programs. Do not underestimate this when you rank any program.

Negative :
None in my opinion.

- Research :
Positive :
I will be applying for cardiology next year, and I challenge anyone to find stronger research mentors and letter writers than we have at CCF. We have programs like Clinical Scholars program (Clinschop ) where 8 people from PGY2 are given 4 months to do research and lectures are scheduled for them to help them with the same.

Negative :
No book allowance like a few other programs.
Unlike last year, this academic year there have been issues with the program letting us attend conferences where we are not presenting. Not sure how it works in other programs. Though, if you are presenting, you get an allowance covering your expenses, one time per academic year ( so thrice in your residency). The associate PD incharge of research activities, is not really that involved with the residents. Though he is pretty accomplished, being the Editor of Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine and all, I would prefer to have someone who is more approachable and takes more interest in each resident. Unlike Dr Nielsen, I don't think he even knows any of the residents except the ones on the Clinschop , let alone knowing what kind of a research they are doing. But then , I don't need his help anyways.

- FMGs/DOs :
We have the strongest FMGs/ DOs in the program. Can you imagine smartest people from some of the best medical schools all over the world in a single program! I think its our biggest strength and definitely not a weakness.
Average USMLE step 1 score : 242 ( 2013 ) , 242 ( 2012 ) *
Average USMLE step 2 score : 250 ( 2013) , 251 ( 2012 ) *

* These figures were mailed to all IM residents in March 2013 after the Match day.

Now I don't say that my program is perfect, but then which program is!
Overall, I am very happy with my residency training, and surprisingly, have started liking Cleveland as well!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. : CaptainMD, please do not apply to CCF given the problems you have with the program. Why make life miserable for yourself if you think the program sucks? You have other programs like Fairview ( they have 100% Board Pass percentage) or UH ( you may not like it though as their IM board pass percentage is about 88% if I am not mistaken ). Good luck for the match.

Internal Medicine Resident,
PGY-2

Another one fighting for that elusive lollipop. Lol. I am sure this one is gonna get it. Sorry Texan guy.
I am quite glad to see these posts providing information about the program although I feel that coming from inside the program they are inherently biased to project the positives. Would love a neutral feedback.
And this person talks about shame. That's funny. It may be shameful to question things in your country but not here in America! Lol

Whatever man. Direct your anger towards your own co-residents who are telling this to the world. I am not here to make up stories. I am saying what I have heard from you guys and they swear it is the truth!

Alright then, another reason you will not fit in CCF, racists like yourself won't feel at home here for sure. Our program will continue taking the best of FMGs and DOs, you like it or not. Hope they don't accidentally take you !

Alright then, another reason you will not fit in CCF, racists like yourself won't feel at home here for sure. Our program will continue taking the best of FMGs and DOs, you like it or not. Hope they don't accidentally take you !

Resident_ccf or to any CCF other resident,

Would Cleveland Clinic accept an IMG with step 1 score of ~235? Is that still within range or am I out? I ask because CCF is one of my top choices. The rest of my app is strong.

Last edited:

Well, if you carefully read through my previous posts you will realize that I am far from being a racist. My best buddies are from minority communities and so are some of the best teachers I have ever had. I ridicule your thought process and not your skin color or roots.

Resident_ccf or to any CCF other resident,

Would Cleveland Clinic accept an IMG with step 1 score of ~235? Is that still within range or am I out? I ask because CCF is one of my top choices. The rest of my app is strong.

Of course. As long as rest of your application is strong, you have a chance.

-- Another resident from the CCF brotherhood
Ignorant people are usually the blind instrument of its own destruction. Making a decision about medical training sounds important to me. I would not let rumors blind myself without getting first hand information.

This whole discussion is non sense and completely infertile. To begin with (-With all respect to CapitanMD) rumors coming from someone who does not form part of the CCF brotherhood, who does not identify himself -who based his post on second hand data from an unknown resident from the program. - Seem really far away from reality to me. But, since "Ignorance is deliberately bold" - and lack of information might mislead future resident in his decision, I found important to clarify few points -I even clarify real concerns that CapitanMD is having since he is considering Us as one of his choices. Hope you accept this (not so rumor) from another resident when you make your decision this year for training

I am listening to your concern -CapitanMD and that is why I am spending more than few minute of my lunch time to make this post - after having my academic half and presenting during our resident to resident Trial 101 -where we discuss important trial among resident for practical purposes.

To start my name Aldo (No hidden identity) - PGY2 at CCF main campus - more than welcome to assists in any question you might have - The whole reason I am doing this is because I want the best of the best for my program and new intern recruits are the foundation of any program. As previously mention numbers talks alone - we have had a great pool of smart guys over the last years - Amazing how different experiences around the world get combined to one practice.

Just to give brief overview of my experience in the program -I come from a medical training with immense autonomy -(I was in charge of everything for my patients from getting blood draws to doing wound debridement even in internal medicine if no surgical consultation was required and taking deliveries without/minimal supervision)

Having said that (I know what real autonomy means)-The experience is CCF have being wonderful with great autonomy and opportunities all across and a vast variety of the most complex and rare cases. Will not try to convince anyone -I just one to put my experience from a true resident

I. Autonomy and exposure: true sometime is hard to find procedures since patient safety have being a major point this days and multiple specialties BUT Step forward and you will get whatever you want here -if you show the minimal confidence and knowledge necessary to approach this complex cases, you will do a lot
- I have done many lumbar punctures, thoracentesis (even on the vent), A-lines, and paracentesis (with out supervision) during my first year since stepped forward enough to sign out in all of them).
- I was able to perform intubations event with Glidoscope for difficult intubation, central lines under fellow supervision and guidance and even Swans Ganz in the MICU supervise by one of the Head of the Pulm Medicine Staff
- I managed ventilator with the help of respiratory therapist making changes overnight for the benefit of the patient.
- Since last half of y 1st year and beginning of 2nd -- I have run ~5 codes by myself even with the presence of MICU staff and AMET staff providing guidance only but everybody following my instruction as leader. Amazing experience
- I have cardioverted patient out of A-fib under fellow supervision and I have broken down SVTs -leading the team at the floor alone with the support of the nurse staff.
- I have autonomy to make changes early in the morning as long as they are within standard of care and with enough data to support my decisions

It is true that we have a lot of help at different levels - but It is also true that is your decision to just call to let someone do it - or to call them a actively participate with them until you learn - Like going with echo cardiogram technician to learn how to do basic bedside echocardiogram -they do millions or taking the US by yourself in MICU an look for pleural fluid by yourself before getting the help from the fellow.

I haven't done CICU so cannot comment on that - My co-resident have commented on that already

II. Complex cases - My favorite point is that I see the patient with the diseases I read about! - you see research happening all around
Some of the cases, I have managed = Hemophagocytic syndrome, CLIPPERS, multidrug resistant TBC with TOF and empyema, Takosubo cardiomyopathy, patient undergoing reverse PCI, Magic syndrome, Acrodermititis Entero-hepatica, Steven-Johnson, Good syndrome, GVHD of the lung, Nodular regenerative hyperplasia of the Liver, Acetaminophen induced liver failure, Zoster encephalitis, CNS lyme, Peripartum Cardiomyopathy, Calciphylaxis, Dysphagia lusoria, Cerebral sarcoidosis, PAtient with mutiple cardiac stent (x14) with severe in-stent restenosis,

III. High Volume work load & Teaching
We are a busy hospital that boost you multitasking to level never imagined - Multitasking was not one of my skills at the beginning of the residency - now after being involved in this high volume and turn over setting, I feel like fish in the water able to settle and prioritize task while being effective. Now normal life seems to be happening in slow motion. Once you get used to the system in the first few month -everything seems chill
We always find teaching opportunities -
1. We have academic have days - 1 day for each year if your effective enough could attend to 3 days of teaching
2. We are developing multiple teaching opportunities from the resident to the resident with lectures series like Medicine 101 - practical approach to common problem in the floor from a senior perspective based on update guidelines and standard of care to boost intern confidence. Trial 101 - kind of journal club done from and for resident to discuss landmark trials every week.
3. Grand round from different specialties focus on Internal medicine tyoe of knowledge,
4. Special noon conferences every week with special guests, or complex cases analysis from top physician in the programs -how to approach and think though the case .
5. Morning report - discussion of cases
6. Jeopardy games. All these new development with the help of the chief.

IV. As previously mentioned - you interact with big names - leaders in their field, people that have read >1.000.000 formal EKG, who has trained with the best of the best - and you interact with them

So again happy to help anyone that has any doubt about the program - Hope everybody gets some clear ideas with these few posts - & you are more than welcome to rotate with us if you can find a host and get first hand experience.

The whole idea is to let people know how is CCF in reality and continue to get the best

CCF-Vzla

Fair enough. Will post my experience after the interview again.