Cleveland clinic vs Case western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neurodoc44

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am ranking Casewestern and Cleveland clinic for the neuro residency match.
I prefer case western especially as the neuro chair from Cleveland Dr.Luders moved recently to Case Western.
Can anyone tell me how much this change in the Cleveland clinic program is going to affect the resident training program?

Is there chance of any of the other faculty leaving with Dr. Luders?

Thank You
 
Actually, my take was that the two programs as a whole were cooperating more than ever, and had started a joint med school. Take this for what it's worth, but I thought Dr. Luders was the weirdest part of Cleveland Clinic's department. Nothing like having an interview consisting of no questions from the interviewer, and a lot of 1 and 2 word answers.

I really think Case has a lot of strong points regardless, including their dedication to education, the neuroscience course, the program director and other things. Don't know as much about CCF because it didn't really fit my personal academic interests, but it is known worldwide to be very strong in most fields. On a side note, I ended up not ranking Case last year because they have at least one very malignant faculty member, and I had a horrible experience with the program coordinator (also just my opinions).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Luders left CCF to help improve Case's Epilepsy program. Which inevitably will make it stronger. I am not sure how this will affect CCF's epilepsy program as I heard that he built it up to be one of the best epilepsy fellowship programs in the country...perhaps it may hurt CCF to lose him.

From what I have heard from various neurologists...Case & CCF are both great programs and you will receive excellent training at both. The nice thing is that they are both such large programs...that if one person leaves or is "malignant" as the above poster mentioned...it doesn't really matter because you will be working with so many other faculty.

I thought the Case Program Coordinator was one of the nicest I have met on the interview trail...so I am not sure if this is the same person mentioned above.

It's hard to say if other faculty may follow Dr. Luders...that often happens when chairs leave from what I have heard. As far as ranking the two..you can't go wrong...just choose the best fit for you.
 
does anyone know more about it? why he left, or why he "Really" left....any rumors/insides whats going on at the clinic...

i was thinking about ranking them high, but this seems a bit weird...