Cleveland Clinic Vs. Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dustydoc87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! What are your thoughts on the Cleveland Clinic Internal Medicine residency program compared to Case Western? How well are the residents trained within the program? And how well do they do in matching to fellowships? Feedback is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I liked Case much more than CCF. I felt that the residents at Case were friendlier, more personable, and seemed happier than those at CCF. I also got a weird vibe on the interview day at CCF, and was told by one of the residents that the ORs were intentionally built far enough away from the ER so that CCF couldn't be a level 1 trauma center, because trauma patients lose you money. This was a turn-off to me personally, as I want to work in underserved medicine. As far as training goes, I'm sure you'd be well trained at either one. I like having a VA for more bread & butter IM cases, so I felt Case had a slight advantage.

Fellowship placement at both is great, with solid match lists for the past few years. I was a little bit more impressed with Case's match list, but they were comparable.

All this to say, you'd do well with either place. Although I liked Case better, I'm sure there are those that liked CCF better, and arguments can be made for either one depending on your career interests.

I also got a weird vibe on the interview day at CCF, and was told by one of the residents that the ORs were intentionally built far enough away from the ER so that CCF couldn't be a level 1 trauma center, because trauma patients lose you money.

CCF has always had a weird relationship with the city over its service to the community. For a long time its ED was basically a barely-noticeable door that you couldn't find even if you were looking for it. The organization was basically forced to expand the entrance and put some signs up on Euclid, Chester, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I liked Case much more than CCF. I felt that the residents at Case were friendlier, more personable, and seemed happier than those at CCF. I also got a weird vibe on the interview day at CCF, and was told by one of the residents that the ORs were intentionally built far enough away from the ER so that CCF couldn't be a level 1 trauma center, because trauma patients lose you money. This was a turn-off to me personally, as I want to work in underserved medicine. As far as training goes, I'm sure you'd be well trained at either one. I like having a VA for more bread & butter IM cases, so I felt Case had a slight advantage.

Fellowship placement at both is great, with solid match lists for the past few years. I was a little bit more impressed with Case's match list, but they were comparable.

All this to say, you'd do well with either place. Although I liked Case better, I'm sure there are those that liked CCF better, and arguments can be made for either one depending on your career interests.

no point in having another level 1 trauma center in the city when Metro is a few miles down the street..wouldn't be the most efficient use of limited resources to have two level 1 trauma centers in such close vicinity that too in a relatively medium-sized city like Cleveland..CCF, Case and VA are all literally right next to each other also which complicates things...all these major hospitals are so close to each other so each hospital focuses its resources on their strengths..CCF's strengths are cardio, GI, renal/urology, etc, while Case is known for its peds (Rainbow Babies) and Metro for trauma/ER...

Last edited:
no point in having another level 1 trauma center in the city when Metro is a few miles down the street..wouldn't be the most efficient use of limited resources to have two level 1 trauma centers in such close vicinity that too in a relatively medium-sized city like Cleveland..CCF, Case and VA are all literally right next to each other also which complicates things...all these major hospitals are so close to each other so each hospital focuses its resources on their strengths..CCF's strengths are cardio, GI, renal/urology, etc, while Case is known for its peds (Rainbow Babies) and Metro for trauma/ER...

Boston has a bunch of level 1 trauma centers all really close to each other

Boston has a bunch of level 1 trauma centers all really close to each other

Boston also has a very rich population in contrast to other areas of the country, as well as very rich hospital systems that can subsidize that care if they had to, and very high insurance rates currently due to the law passed under Romney.

Average salary/insurance level in Ohio <<<<<<< Boston. If CCF was in Boston they'd have a level 1 trauma center I'm sure.

Boston also has a very rich population in contrast to other areas of the country, as well as very rich hospital systems that can subsidize that care if they had to, and very high insurance rates currently due to the law passed under Romney.

Average salary/insurance level in Ohio <<<<<<< Boston. If CCF was in Boston they'd have a level 1 trauma center I'm sure.

also can't compare Cleveland to Boston, Boston is much more densely populated than Cleveland and is nearly double the population of Cleveland

Boston and NYC even more so are densely populated areas which is why they have multiple health care systems within minutes from each other as does Cleveland even though can be easily argued that Cleveland doesn't need to

Last edited: