Cleveland Clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the Cleveland Clinic program malignant? How does it compare to Case Western for IM?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the Cleveland Clinic program malignant? How does it compare to Case Western for IM?

Cleveland Clinic is as non-malignant as they get. Dr. Nielsen is the nicest PD in America. Remember that Simpson's episode where they move to another city and homer gets a new job at a new reactor, and his new boss is an energetic, super-friendly guy who has plans to take over the world (they kill James Bond in that episode). Yeah, well Dr. Nielsen is THAT nice (minus the world domination plans). Honest.

I graduated from the Clinic 2 years ago and think it is an excellent program. I've spent some time in UH and felt that the environment there is more aloof and elitist (and the Hospital smells and cafeteria sucks). The fellowship match results are to my knowledge fairly comparable. Clinic I believe has some of the sickest, most complicated, highest acuity patients in the nation (and I'm currently at MGH) and will provide excellent training for general or subspecialty practice.

Cleveland Clinic is as non-malignant as they get. Dr. Nielsen is the nicest PD in America. Remember that Simpson's episode where they move to another city and homer gets a new job at a new reactor, and his new boss is an energetic, super-friendly guy who has plans to take over the world (they kill James Bond in that episode). Yeah, well Dr. Nielsen is THAT nice (minus the world domination plans). Honest.

I graduated from the Clinic 2 years ago and think it is an excellent program. I've spent some time in UH and felt that the environment there is more aloof and elitist (and the Hospital smells and cafeteria sucks). The fellowship match results are to my knowledge fairly comparable. Clinic I believe has some of the sickest, most complicated, highest acuity patients in the nation (and I'm currently at MGH) and will provide excellent training for general or subspecialty practice.

wow that's exactly what i thought when i saw his picture, hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview spot at Cleveland Clinic but after reading the SDN posts not sure if I should take it. I've heard it is maybe not as good as a lot of other programs I am applying to. I'm stuck as to whether I should take it or not, I mean I really want to specialize after IM residency and Cleveland clinic has really good fellowship programs. I looked at their match list but is there anyone from the program who knows if their CArds program recruits from their residency program or whether they look elsewhere?

Ps Sorry for the bad grammar MICU call was hell last night. :sleep:

any other CCF vs Case comments?

I interviewed at both last year and was unimpressed! Case: computers are terrible and work-flow is terrible. The hospital is out-dated and some of the faculty are just out of touch with anything after 1975.
CC: Very modern facility and some of the best pathology in the world, but not much bread and butter, and you better be ready to be a scut monkey AND do a lot of research!