cleveland housing help needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5twilight5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

so need some help with finding an apartment in cleveland...im a young single female that wants a 1 bdrm place...i had heard that shaker hts and cleveland hts were the places to be but don't know specific places...any help would be appreciated!

where are you future and current anesthesia peeps living in cleveland?

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

depends if you matched at Metro or if you matched at UH or CCF. Metro, you want west, off of I-90. probably tremont if you're single, but maybe you want lakewood or rocky river because it's a little safer. and married/family folks usually want to be in a suburb that borders on the county line. and you can still get to work in 20 minutes living that far out.

on the east side (for CCF or UH) you want to be close to university circle, little italy, or "coventry" (cleveland heights) if you're single. again, families want to be further out from cleveland. shaker is really nice but there are literally mansions 3 minutes away from sec. 8 housing, so for all of these places you want to visit them before you sign a lease on an apartment.

anybody who wants specific advice on cleveland, i'm 3rd generation clevelander, you can PM me and i'll give you the lowdown on cleveland and every suburb. you could also search "parma barbie" and figure out a lot of these locations. and you-tube "parma state of mind"

BTW i lived in parma/parma hts for 6 years when we had no money (residency/grad school) and infants because it is the cheapest place to live that is relatively safe and you can rent a bungalow with a small yard.

the eastside doppleganger for parma would be south euclid to have a similar housing stock and safety. however you'd probably really hate it in parma/south euclid if you're single.

and if you prefer alternative lifestyle, definitely lakewood even if you're at UH or CCF. lakewood is cool for straight singles and couples too, busy nightlife.

let me know if i'm on target on these locations.

go cavs!

the best option for a young single female is to live downtown, and the Warehouse district is your best bet - they have some really nice apts in the area, and it's close to a lot of the nightlife (e.g., Nautica). A friend of mine lives in Bridgeview apartments, they are huge and have a gorgeous view of the city.

As someone who grew up in the burbs around Hopkins airport for 12 years, it's less than ideal for a young single person - great family areas (Parma Hts. and Middleburg Hts. are where I lived), but definitely nothing to do if you're single and aren't from the area. also, it's a bit of a drive to get to the downtown hospitals. I'd recommend living downtown, personally. Despite what is said on SDN, Cleveland isn't that bad a city, and if you are in the right areas downtown, pretty safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in University Heights 15 min drive to work in AM. It depends do you like to go out, then downtown would be the best place. Beachwood is a nice place too about 30 min from the hospital. Shaker has some good close spots close to the hospital.

thanks for all the input!

i do like to go out so ill check out downtown...bridgeview seems nice and will check it out...if anyone knows of any other specific buildings, please let me know! i fell in love with quay 55 but unfortunately im on a 13 people waiting list to get in! yikes

Thanks again!:love:

thanks for all the input!

i do like to go out so ill check out downtown...bridgeview seems nice and will check it out...if anyone knows of any other specific buildings, please let me know! i fell in love with quay 55 but unfortunately im on a 13 people waiting list to get in! yikes

Thanks again!:love:

There is NO reason that anyone should be on a housing waiting list in CLEVELAND. If you chose to, you could buy a 4 BR colonial in the burbs for <$200,000, and there are TONS of apartments, whether old or new loft-style, in the downtown area (not just W. 6th). Cleveland isn't a huge Craigslist town, but big enough to get started, and if you're gonna be a resident I think you could probably "splurge" on a real estate agent to help pick from your choice of $600-1000/mo 1 BR's.

It seems like the majority of the single professionals who work on the east side (CCF, UH, Case, etc) live either downtown, on the near east suburbs (Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights), or WAY the f out on the West side (Crocker Park etc). As others have mentioned you can also consider Tremont, W.25th, Lakewood, etc.

Just remember: it's CLEVELAND. You can haggle, you can pick and choose, and you can get the place you want for the price you want, because it's a FREAKING GHOST TOWN.

Just remember: it's CLEVELAND. You can haggle, you can pick and choose, and you can get the place you want for the price you want, because it's a FREAKING GHOST TOWN.

I beg to differ...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU0JpyH1gC8[/YOUTUBE]

:p

the best option for a young single female is to live downtown, and the Warehouse district is your best bet - they have some really nice apts in the area, and it's close to a lot of the nightlife (e.g., Nautica). A friend of mine lives in Bridgeview apartments, they are huge and have a gorgeous view of the city.

As someone who grew up in the burbs around Hopkins airport for 12 years, it's less than ideal for a young single person - great family areas (Parma Hts. and Middleburg Hts. are where I lived), but definitely nothing to do if you're single and aren't from the area. also, it's a bit of a drive to get to the downtown hospitals. I'd recommend living downtown, personally. Despite what is said on SDN, Cleveland isn't that bad a city, and if you are in the right areas downtown, pretty safe.

yeah, warehouse district is probably the only place i'd live in the immediate downtown area. W.9 or W.6 is a happening place.

quay 55 is way overpriced and they have problems with black mold. it was an old dilapidated building that was gutted. it's on the water, but it was wet for decades. former residents (including lebron james) came down with pleuritis in that building, and it's not anywhere near anything, no shopping, no food, just a converted storage building near a small marina and a beautiful view of lake erie for almost 2K/mo.. somewhat close to MLK to get to UH and CCF, i guess.

Last edited:
My girlfriend and I are from new york state, and we both are going to start our residency in Cleveland in July as well. I will be working in CCF and she is going to Fairview hospital. We are looking for a location in the middle where we both can get to work in around 15 minutes. Any recommendation will be appreciated!

My girlfriend and I are from new york state, and we both are going to start our residency in Cleveland in July as well. I will be working in CCF and she is going to Fairview hospital. We are looking for a location in the middle where we both can get to work in around 15 minutes. Any recommendation will be appreciated!

you could live downtown "warehouse district" to split the difference.
tremont would also be 1/2 way. but there is something to be said for making her commute easier so that she's in a somewhat better mood, if you're interested in keeping this girl. my buddy lived in the shadow of fairview hospital ("west park") and commuted to CCF everyday. you could also look at lakewood or rocky river which would give her a nice drive down rocky river drive to fairview, and then you get to get on the shoreway to work rather than the dreaded "innerbelt."

Innerbelt: section of I-90 which starts on the west when it joins I-71 and OH-176. then proceeding east over a 1/2mi long bridge that ODOT reduced the lanes from 4 to 3 in each direction and prohibited trucks due to the threat of immediate collapse. it then heads north to a traffic jam that is caused by every west-sider trying to get off at Chester ave. to get to CCF, UH, VA, CWRU i.e. where eveybody works. it then joins OH-2 and the freeway makes a 90-degree turn east. this turn has a 35mph speed limit and the roadway is inversely banked to such a degree that it is appropriately named "dead man's curve."

If things are not bad enough, starting in 2011, the State of Ohio is going to "fix" the innerbelt. this project adds a mess of construction to this traffic nightmare that starts next summer, costs at minimum $1.6Billion, and will be completed by 2033 or when the Browns win their first Superbowl, whichever is later.:oops:

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects...Documents/September_2009_Innerbelt_Update.pdf

Ohio City neighborhood has some decent places and is about 15 minutes either way to CCF or Fairview. Mind you, as with a lot of Cleveland Housing, sketchy neighborhoods aren't too far away.

http://www.clv-lofts.com/
has a few buildings with availability.

Ohio City neighborhood has some decent places and is about 15 minutes either way to CCF or Fairview. Mind you, as with a lot of Cleveland Housing, sketchy neighborhoods aren't too far away.

http://www.clv-lofts.com/
has a few buildings with availability.

ohio city/w. 25th/west side market. check these places out in person, some areas are not really safe, just stay close to 25th where the higher rent places are and you'll be fine living in those apartments. it is improving, probably not as fast as the developers hope, but there are apartments on w. 26th right behind great lakes brewery and flying fig that a resident/attending i know lived in. she is a young single female, and she liked it and felt safe there.

[YOUTUBE]oZzgAjjuqZM[/YOUTUBE]

Not to offend. I currently live in Northeastern Ohio.

[YOUTUBE]oZzgAjjuqZM[/YOUTUBE]

Not to offend. I currently live in Northeastern Ohio.

LOL...the video is kind of depressing. Well....the place that I come from is about the same.:oops:

Thank you guys for the advice!

LOL...the video is kind of depressing. Well....the place that I come from is about the same.:oops:

Thank you guys for the advice!

today was a beautiful day in cleveland! Sunny, 72 degrees! Everybody was outside, friendly, happy, firing up the grills, pulling the patio furniture out, kids on playsets, people running, biking, jogging, spring is finally here in Cleveland!

And, honestly, the best time of year to be in Cleveland is from September 1 to November 1. The fall is tempered by a very warm Lake Erie, and the leaves turn beautiful colors on the trees.

Also, there are some seriously awesome restaurants all over Cleveland. These chefs have brought their "A game" to be right there with Michael Symon. And you don't even have to be special to get reservations, you just "open table" anywhere you want to go.

Plus, if Dortmunder Gold makes Sam Adams taste like "Natty Light" just wait until x-mas, the Great Lakes Christmas Ale is worth fighting over in the grocery store!

Now Cleveland board of Tourism can pay me $14M for this rebuttal to Mike Polk's you-tube videos.:laugh: