Cleveland or Mayo Clinic Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palpation

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm desperately looking for people who have rotated at Cleveland or Mayo clinic in the past to know of their experience?

Can someone please let me know how you found it? I know they both rank great but I'm keen to know if you had a chance to adequately spend time with the attendings and get to know them? And also if there were research opportunities during that time?

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attendings: It largely depends on what department, which attendings, what service; you know, everyone is different. For me, I had great times in both places

Research: Writing a review paper or case reports may be possible. Real clinical database mining project might not be feasible during your rotation due to limited time and institution policies.

Attendings: It largely depends on what department, which attendings, what service; you know, everyone is different. For me, I had great times in both places

Research: Writing a review paper or case reports may be possible. Real clinical database mining project might not be feasible during your rotation due to limited time and institution policies.

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you mind if I ask which department you worked in? And did you get to work with only one attending or did you rotate between attendings every week? My main aim really would be to stick to one attending so I can impress them. A paper would definitely be a bonus. MSKCC website allows me to see who the program sponsor is for each elective (which I assume will be my supervisor?) but Cleveland has no such information and hence the confusion :S

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that you want to stick to one attending. But my experience is that it's almost impossible. Your education is supposed to be broad and diverse during medical school - that is why you rotate. Sticking to one attending is not good for your education. To impress an attending, I believe one week generally would be sufficient.

At MSKCC, a sponsor is like the supervisor of the whole course, you may or may not work with him/her in your rotation.

If you did research before, you may have a sense what is the field you want to do, and who're the experts in those places. You can contact them for writing a reviewer paper or case report.

If you didn't have research experience, I would suggest starting from a case report.

Reactions: 1 user
I understand that you want to stick to one attending. But my experience is that it's almost impossible. Your education is supposed to be broad and diverse during medical school - that is why you rotate. Sticking to one attending is not good for your education. To impress an attending, I believe one week generally would be sufficient.

At MSKCC, a sponsor is like the supervisor of the whole course, you may or may not work with him/her in your rotation.

If you did research before, you may have a sense what is the field you want to do, and who're the experts in those places. You can contact them for writing a reviewer paper or case report.

If you didn't have research experience, I would suggest starting from a case report.

Thank you so much that was really helpful.