Cliffs AP Bio or Dr. Romano Dynamite Bio - Bio review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental-study

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which would be a better resource to study for the Bio section. Dr.Romanos Dynamite Bio is Huge but very detailed at the same time. I'm going to end up watching bio videos on youtube in addition to studying from either of these books anyway. Cliffs has been used for a while and Dynamite Bio is new so I wasn't sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I used Cliff's and just about every question from my DAT come from here. Real thing is very much breadth over depth.

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT destroyer is WAYYYY to in depth. I highly recommend not using this for bio. Great for GC and OC though.
I hear that a lot about bio destroyer, I also hear that it is an overkill. In my experience, dat destroyer was really similar to my exam. So I'm pretty sure it will prepare op for all science sections. I skimmed over AP cliff and started doing bio destroyer 3 weeks before my exam. Got a 24 on the bio. So I would say it works lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear that a lot about bio destroyer, I also hear that it is an overkill. In my experience, dat destroyer was really similar to my exam. So I'm pretty sure it will prepare op for all science sections. I skimmed over AP cliff and started doing bio destroyer 3 weeks before my exam. Got a 24 on the bio. So I would say it works lol.
I got a 25 bio. Destroyer was great for GC and OC but was ridiculously specific for bio. I wish I would have allocated my time to sections I was weaker in.

Reactions: 1 users
That's great. Im talking about my experience and without bio destroyer I would've scored way less than 24, and I only studied bio destroyer for 3 weeks, few hours a day. So if used correctly, it really can do miracles.

DAT destroyer is WAYYYY to in depth. I highly recommend not using this for bio. Great for GC and OC though.

There are multiple versions of the test in circulation. Some bio sections are extremely basic like yours and mine, and others have gotten multiple specific questions. It really comes down to luck of the draw. If time allows, I'd recommend over-preparing with Destroyer than under-preparing and leaving it up to chance. It'll also be beneficial in the long run as classes like histology are part of dental school curriculum.

There are multiple versions of the test in circulation. Some bio sections are extremely basic like yours and mine, and others have gotten multiple specific questions. It really comes down to the luck of the draw. If time allows, I'd recommend being over-preparing with Destroyer than under-preparing and leaving it up to chance.
Which is why I'd recommend supplementing Cliff's with BC or Ferrallis (though this is still too in depth imo). You could or could not get a higher score by memorizing all of bio destroyer which could take a LONG time to fully digest or you could do more high yielding studying like working on math destroyer which is insanely representative of the actual QR or PAT generators on BC. Just my opinion though.

Which is why I'd recommend supplementing Cliff's with BC or Ferrallis (though this is still too in depth imo). You could or could not get a higher score by memorizing all of bio destroyer which could take a LONG time to fully digest or you could do more high yielding studying like working on math destroyer which is insanely representative of the actual QR or PAT generators on BC. Just my opinion though.

I see. Supplementing with BC and Feralis Notes is what I did as well. I'd just be careful about making sure to state that in your previous comments so your full opinion is presented on this forum. If someone were to take your advice and just use Cliff's, they may not be fully prepared if they got an extremely specific section.

I see. Supplementing with BC and Feralis Notes is what I did as well. I'd just be careful about making sure to state that in your previous comments so your full opinion is presented on this forum.
I think it's abundantly clear it is my opinion given that I am obviously basing that claim off of my personal experiences.

I see. Supplementing with BC and Feralis Notes is what I did as well. I'd just be careful about making sure to state that in your previous comments so your full opinion is presented on this forum. If someone were to take your advice and just use Cliff's, they may not be fully prepared if they got an extremely specific section.
Note how I put "recommend" in my posts previously.

I think people are talking about the Bio Destroyer and not Dr. Romano's Dynamite Bio Review....Does anyone have experience with the actual bio review? It is like ~500-600 pages

Members don't see this ad :)
Your right my fault. I-hate-alginate also sounded a bit confused by the tone of your previous comments about Destroyer, so just wanted to make sure OP gets the full scope of opinions.
ah no worries! And OP I Dr. Romano's notes are very new and weren't around when I took the DAT a month ago.

I would definitely use Dr. Romano's Biology Dynamite notes instead of Cliff's. Prior to using Romano's notes I looked over Cliff's and, quite frankly, found it tedious and boring in comparison to Romano's notes, and found it difficult to retain information. I enjoy reading Romano's notes because he makes it really fun, the graphics are GREAT, and he stars important points that you need to know specifically for the DAT. Some may say it is overkill, but you you need to push yourself in order to do super well. Also, Romano really has the best insight into what will be on the DAT and his notes are BRAND NEW.

Reactions: 3 users
It's the exam of your life, why would you just take a short cut? IMO do it all, start with cliffs, then do Dr. Romano's notes and end it off with the destroyer. He put years of his experience and I am sure spent countless hours into the notes and they're free. He basically gives you a blueprint of what is going to be on the exam (amazing graphics too). I really cant imagine why you wouldn't take advantage of something like that, but I digress to each his own. I'm writing the DAT in a couple days and I am strictly using the notes after having done cliffs and I feel really good.

Reactions: 3 users
I got a 21 on bio but i'm retaking it soon. i did it with just pure feralis and cliff note with bio destroyer. currently i'm on chapter 36 for bio dynamite notes. in my opinion, the notes are good but not as good as i thought it would be. you definitely need some background information before you go into the notes. for me, i already read through feralis notes like 4-5 times before so its not as bad. but for those who just started, it will take A LOT of time. there are definitely some over lapping between feralis and the bio dynamite, however there are some parts that are not. (which is weird because the bio notes should be "overkill" ). Cliff AP bio notes is definitely a must to "start" your game. after ap bio notes, you should move on to bio dynamite notes. When youre doing the bio dynamite notes, you definitely still need to put in work to look up some stuff that you don't understands. overall i think the bio dynamite notes is a very good source. just letting you know reading once is not enough, you definitely need to read it at least twice. that's why reading ap bio notes is important because you will retain your information much better when you go through the notes.

Thanks everyone for your input! I read Cliffs once in August when I thought I was going to start studying then, and I felt that it was basic. I'm just working through Bio Destroyer now and taking down notes/ watching videos for topics I don't understand.

Has anyone taken the DAT after studying Dr. Romanos Bio Dynamite? or should I just stick with Cliffs + feralis?

Thanks everyone for your input! I read Cliffs once in August when I thought I was going to start studying then, and I felt that it was basic. I'm just working through Bio Destroyer now and taking down notes/ watching videos for topics I don't understand.

Has anyone taken the DAT after studying Dr. Romanos Bio Dynamite? or should I just stick with Cliffs + feralis?
Hey, I just took the DAT again and i scored 28 in Bio. I used Bio Dynamite notes this time and it took me from 21 to 28.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, I just took the DAT again and i scored 28 in Bio. I used Bio Dynamite notes this time and it took me from 21 to 28.
How did you use the dynamite notes? It is over 600 pages and I don't want to run out of time or end up putting too much time into Biology and run out of time to study for other sections.

How did you use the dynamite notes? It is over 600 pages and I don't want to run out of time or end up putting too much time into Biology and run out of time to study for other sections.
I read through the notes 4 times total. First time took the longest for me. You don't necessarily need to read it 4 times if you really understand the material after reading it once or twice (although i think you should read it AT LEAST 3 times if you want 21+). There are definitely some parts that are more than what you need to know. I think reading through this notes make the DAT destroyer MUCH easier to approach. Some questions are basically word for word in the notes already. Overall, it took me about the same time to go through the notes and do the DAT destroyer ONCE compare to don't read the notes and do the DAT destroyer multiple times. If you just started, i recommend reading 2 chapters a day. If you have some bio background, you can do 3-4 chapters a day. It can vary though because some chapters are long and some are really short.

I read through the notes 4 times total. First time took the longest for me. You don't necessarily need to read it 4 times if you really understand the material after reading it once or twice (although i think you should read it AT LEAST 3 times if you want 21+). There are definitely some parts that are more than what you need to know. I think reading through this notes make the DAT destroyer MUCH easier to approach. Some questions are basically word for word in the notes already. Overall, it took me about the same time to go through the notes and do the DAT destroyer ONCE compare to don't read the notes and do the DAT destroyer multiple times. If you just started, i recommend reading 2 chapters a day. If you have some bio background, you can do 3-4 chapters a day. It can vary though because some chapters are long and some are really short.

hi! did you just read the notes? or did you take notes yourself and go over your own set of notes? thanks!

For the bio section, ap cliff and destroyer is all you need. I studied this section for 3 weeks and still got a decent score on it. Boot camp (exams) covered the same material in destroyer but this was in 2017, not sure if things changed but I assume it’s still the same.

I used cliffs in combo with Dynamite bio. Go with both and you’ll be good!

I love Fermi and his Jordan Peterson Avatar, but I tend to disagree that cliffs is really all you need, at least for my test.

I got 24 bio and there were some questions that came right out of Romano’s dynamite bio that I didn’t recall being covered (at least conspicuously) in cliffs. I would use both if I were you and prepare at least 3 months ahead of test day.

You really think AP cliffs and destroyer is all you need? No need for Bootcamp academy notes? Because I am conbtemplating on what to use currently
I used only cliffs, destroyer, dynamite bio and the free bootcamp practice test (plus crash course A&P from Hank Green on YouTube) and got 24 bio That’s my experience only though.

Cliffs is good, you can check out Feralis notes, (i think they're changed to bootcamp notes now) as they summarize the information well. Don't know much about the destroyer notes but looking back a few posts they seem to be quite good too. I would have a look at all the note types and list threw them and see which one you like more. Feralis notes are more of a list of facts while the destoryer ones are more like a book.

Last edited by a moderator: