Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone work in a medical office "dispensary"?
I just got offered a position by an oncologist to be a consultant pharmacist for his brand new oral chemo dispensary. (Be nice to your interns!!! 🙂 I was recommended by a former student I worked with and now I have a sweet job!)
Great hours! 9-5 weekdays and no weekends ever. He said he will consider 10 scripts a day as a success (nice break from the 400+ I was filling at my former job at a hospital outpatient pharmacy). The rest of the time I will be assisting him in grant writing to try to bring in oncology research from the drug companies for his patients.
Because it is a dispensary and not a true pharmacy, a pharmacist is not required, but he still wants me to oversee the dispensing operations. It doesn't fall under the usual pharmacy laws; he is the final check, not me, and he has to sign off on everything I dispense. Some states require an on-site pharmacist, while others do not, so some clinics nationwide have pharm techs, nurses, or MAs filling their prescriptions and then the prescriber will check it and counsel the patient.
Just wondering what others' experiences are in this field. Is this a new specialty "niche" or has this opportunity been around? I don't remember thinking this would be a career path for pharmacists when I was in school a few years ago.
I just got offered a position by an oncologist to be a consultant pharmacist for his brand new oral chemo dispensary. (Be nice to your interns!!! 🙂 I was recommended by a former student I worked with and now I have a sweet job!)
Great hours! 9-5 weekdays and no weekends ever. He said he will consider 10 scripts a day as a success (nice break from the 400+ I was filling at my former job at a hospital outpatient pharmacy). The rest of the time I will be assisting him in grant writing to try to bring in oncology research from the drug companies for his patients.
Because it is a dispensary and not a true pharmacy, a pharmacist is not required, but he still wants me to oversee the dispensing operations. It doesn't fall under the usual pharmacy laws; he is the final check, not me, and he has to sign off on everything I dispense. Some states require an on-site pharmacist, while others do not, so some clinics nationwide have pharm techs, nurses, or MAs filling their prescriptions and then the prescriber will check it and counsel the patient.
Just wondering what others' experiences are in this field. Is this a new specialty "niche" or has this opportunity been around? I don't remember thinking this would be a career path for pharmacists when I was in school a few years ago.