Clinical boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For what it’s worth, it felt exactly the same way a couple years ago. Complete with several obscure genetics questions and nothing short of around 15 questions related to vaginal/vulvar cancers. I thought it was the hardest of the written boards in terms of sheer minutia. But the pass rate was still super high. I hope it plays out the same for your class.

I was going to say exactly the same thing. I took the test last year, felt very uncertain about it, was convinced I failed it... and then passed, as did 98% of other people. Don’t despair yet, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
We understand. Fingers crossed for a high pass rate. We were told the same thing last year until we saw the 70 and 74% pass rates. Our gripe with the ABR is that despite the effort in studying placed into this exam, this was an exam that I could have taken without studying and did just as well. It was not a competency exam but a random factoid exam *EDITED BY MODS*. So, if despite it all, if the pass rate is still 96% or greater, what does it measure? We made a random factoid exam and set the bar low to do what? And if the pass rate is lower this year, it is because we failed people who did not did not Plan-Do-Study-Act accordingly and not know the exact percentage of patients with grade 3+ left finger twitch on some study?

Given what we have seen on both of these exams, I would hard pressed to recommend radiation oncology to future medical students, where we can piss away all of that high Step scores and research acumen and rake them over the coals with these ridiculously stupid exams and job market situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
It was not a competency exam but a random factoid exam *EDITED BY MODS*. So, if despite it all, if the pass rate is still 96% or greater, what does it measure? We made a random factoid exam and set the bar low to do what? And if the pass rate is lower this year, it is because we failed people who did not did not Plan-Do-Study-Act accordingly and not know the exact percentage of patients with grade 3+ left finger twitch on some study?

Given what we have seen on both of these exams, I would hard pressed to recommend radiation oncology to future medical students, where we can piss away all of that high Step scores and research acumen and rake them over the coals with these ridiculously stupid exams and job market situation.
Whoever you are, you've properly outlined the awful dichotomy which exists. *EDITED BY MODS*

On one possibility, it's a goofy, stupid exam that you're going to pass no matter what; studying is what a chump would do. So you've been played for a chump. On the other possibility, it was an unfair test that more people than usual will fail this year. Again, played for a chump.

And as you say, either option puts a "KEEP OUT" sign on rad onc for anyone with eyes. The practice of radiation oncology is straightforward. It is not that hard. It is quite learnable in a few years' time ("Gee, I would have thought it only took a year to learn how to do that"): know when to irradiate and/or consult someone else, know what to irradiate, know how much to irradiate with as few side effects as possible, understand safety, know cancers's [sic] natural histories, understand physics from a clinical standpoint and clinical rad bio. Also, you have to be taught to be a learner because ~50% of what's standard today will change in about 10 years; unfortunately, you can't be tested on that. But testing someone on physaliferous cells in rad onc does, in a way, say it all.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At some point people need to rebel, physicians as a whole. I was talking to my doctor and they said that theres a growing movement in IM To just refuse to get bord certified. The endocrine society is coming up with an alternative way to board away from ABIM. We need to dump the ABR, and refuse to participate in this nonsense. This does not make us “competent”. It does not measure “minimal competency”.

Reactions: 5 users
The test was outrageous. I had to guess on more than half of the questions because they were questions like what the percent of a random hormone defect at a pre-specified year, what is the workup for a disease that I have never even heard of, what is the WHO grade of an extremely unusual neoplasm. Oh by the way, I looked that one up afterwards, and WHO specifically said not to grade it because it was so uncommon and debated what grade it should be. What about testing common things that would actually gauge minimal competence to practice? It's now abundantly clear that ABR just picks a random class and decides to screw them over. Obviously they can't screw every class over, but they will probably just pick a class once in a couple years and do what they did to us. I'm sure they are going to decide that the class entering this year is stupid and should get a 60% pass rate in all three tests.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The test was outrageous. I had to guess on more than half of the questions because they were questions like what the percent of a random hormone defect at a pre-specified year, what is the workup for a disease that I have never even heard of, what is the WHO grade of an extremely unusual neoplasm. Oh by the way, I looked that one up afterwards, and WHO specifically said not to grade it because it was so uncommon and debated what grade it should be. What about testing common things that would actually gauge minimal competence to practice? It's now abundantly clear that ABR just picks a random class and decides to screw them over. Obviously they can't screw every class over, but they will probably just pick a class once in a couple years and do what they did to us. I'm sure they are going to decide that the class entering this year is stupid and should get a 60% pass rate in all three tests.
Thymomas is bad.
Chordomas was all over the place.
Them dogs SNUC up on me!

Of these three statements, which one do you consider to have the worst grammar? BTW too bad I don't know tumor is really rare and WHO doesn't really grade; I'm kind of dumb and don't have any idea what it would be. But it intrigues me. Also I love bad grammar.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Proton questions that have nothing to do with routine proton physics or indications. One thing that was nice were the (only two) click on things. But that was still much less than the sarcoma epidemic that we obviously will be facing.

• Haha
What was the deal with the random carbon ion questions as well? Nonsense!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Edited/Deleted a couple questions explicitly or near explicitly discussing test questions.

Let's try to keep it general guys - I get that it was tough (and class of 2019, I feel for you as you all are unfortunately you are all the red headed stepchildren of this field apparently), but I don't want ABR or Pearson or whoever coming down on this thread for discussion of the exam besides generalities. Specific trials asked about or words from the actual question stem put this thread and SDN at risk of a copyright violation.

Saying "why was there so much damn sarcoma" is fine, for the record.

Once again the ABR managed to totally screw our class over with an unfair exam. It was full of minutia and uncommon things that we rarely ever treat. Having scored in the 80s on the question sets and read two books - I still feel like half the test was a guess. I tried looking up answers in the most popular review books after the exam and couldn’t even find half of them.

Medical students - run as fast as you can. This field is full of egos, a bad job market, and “elders” who need to step aside and retire at this point. I would love to watch some of these people who put this test together be questioned with that material.

This is meant to be a test of competency and it felt like another weed out exam.

Again, medical students pay attention. Go into Radiology or whatever else you’re considering.

For the record carbonionangle did not take the clinical boards and was kidding about that being on our test.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
For the record carbonionangle did not take the clinical boards and was kidding about that being on our test.
I was thinking, "man, I must have slept through that question because I don't remember it."

Not kidding, though, I pulled my headphones off halfway through and stared at the ceiling out of frustration. Couldn't believe the number of questions on genetics. An abysmally poor attempt to assess competency.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
As we continue to be in this deep and dreamless ABR slumber, we must remember an important question, “is our children learnin?”. Answer is clearly NOT. these tests are a complete RUSE.

Last edited:
Maybe I should start reading about super uncommon forms of imaging that we never use, and that my radiology colleagues couldn’t even answer.

Total BS.

• Haha
As we continue to be in this deep and dreamless ABR slumber, we must remember and important question, “is our children learnin’”. Answer is clearly NOT. these tests are a complete RUSE.

Fool me twice, won't get fooled again

• Haha
Please fill out the post exam ABR surveymonkey they sent out asking for feedback on the exam. It is a fairly detailed survey asking about level of difficulty and clinical relevancy. Mine went to my spam folder!!!

I think it was reasonably fair. Everyone remembers the goofy/zebra type questions but at the end of the day 160/228 is 70%. it's not unreasonable to think passing is around that or little lower. That's a lot of questions to miss and frankly as many randos I can remember there were equal gimmie questions that took less than 5 seconds. Just my 2 cents.

• Haha
I agree with most that the majority of questions were clinically irrelevant, tested uncommon disease sites/trials, or tested trivia in more common disease sites/trials. ABR should be earning our trust and using board exams to ensure its members are clinically competent, which is not what the two ABR board exams I have taken accomplish. The most frustrating aspect for me is that we are paying them to produce low quality exams. They have a monopoly on board certification for us, and without competition, they appear to have little motivation to improve these exams.

Is anyone else upset enough, have time enough, to look into creating a new rad onc board for certification? Alternatives to this include approaching ARRO to advocate for residents similar to last year.

I think ARRO will surely get involved if the pass rate is low.

Here's hoping it's 95% plus though.

• Haha
I think ARRO will surely get involved if the pass rate is low.

Here's hoping it's 95% plus though.

At ARRO we continue to work with the ABR and other leadership groups regarding qualifying exam concerns. The post-exam survey is a step in the right direction, but there remains room for improvement in this process. We are all awaiting the 2019 results, but regardless of the pass rate we will continue to advocate for residents. We will update all current and recently graduated residents when there is new information available.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I agree with most that the majority of questions were clinically irrelevant, tested uncommon disease sites/trials, or tested trivia in more common disease sites/trials. ABR should be earning our trust and using board exams to ensure its members are clinically competent, which is not what the two ABR board exams I have taken accomplish. The most frustrating aspect for me is that we are paying them to produce low quality exams. They have a monopoly on board certification for us, and without competition, they appear to have little motivation to improve these exams.

Is anyone else upset enough, have time enough, to look into creating a new rad onc board for certification? Alternatives to this include approaching ARRO to advocate for residents similar to last year.

The ABR must be dumped. They need competition. How can this be achieved?

The ABR must be dumped. They need competition. How can this be achieved?

I'm too lazy to look it up but curious if anybody happens to know:

How common is it for a specialty to have more than one accrediting/certifying board or whatever you call the ABR?

Scores are up.

Passed. Huge sigh of relief. Just one more hurdle in this painful gauntlet. Good luck to everyone else.

Reactions: 7 users
Passed.

Sounds like pass rates may be up this year!

Passed Clinical (five 3's five 4's)
Resources : Radonc Questions, Absolute Clinical Radiation Oncology ($$$ for this exam)

I took this along with Rad Bio and Physics, which I did not pass on the first attempt when I took them last year. I passed all 3 this year.

Clinical scores on the lower end of the spectrum with some 4s.

Timeline: started in January 2019
RadOncQuestions was very helpful; went through everything twice
Essentials of Radiation Oncology (Cleveland Clinic's book) -- the new 'blue book', as far as I am concerned. Hats off to the authors.
Estes tables for key studies review
ASTRO Refresher audio (something to listen to when driving to work)
ACR TXIT in-service exams x4 years

While there is very much to celebrate today, with seemingly many people passing (congratulations!), it is important to remember the path taken to get here. Two ridiculous 'qualifying' exams that was filled with random trivia better suited for Jeopardy! than a test of clinical competence. It sounds like the ABR are righting their wrongs from last year's debacle (it's multifactorial, remember?) for the benefit of my colleagues, but many others in my class (c/o 2019 here) were unnecessarily penalized last year, all the while, the ABR is having their semi-annual meetings in Hawaii, using our annual ABR fees, laughing at how our class is not as smart as the previous generation (https://www.practicalradonc.org/article/S1879-8500(18)30122-X/abstract).

Much time and effort was placed into studying for an exam that literally no one had a clue what was on it, while each of the groups (ASTRO, RRC, ABR, ACR, ACGME) absolving themselves of any responsibility for our education. This is akin to Step 2 CS (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1213760), as a useless exam that many, if not all, would say has no bearing on actual clinical education and competence. So, imagine spending all of this time studying with absolutely no benefit to your future patients.

I know many are happy and relieved from their results today, but we await the final pass rates. Maybe the pass rate is high, then what was the test for? Who did we screen as an incompetent radiation oncologist? Maybe the pass rate is low, so the exam just screwed a bunch of people by letting them take a random trivia exam completely blind, who are otherwise good standardized test takers.

And, all of the PGY5s should know that their clinical exam is on July 24 next year (ABR), so instead of them focusing on transitioning from trainee to independent physician in their new job or enjoying time off before starting their new position, they better be memorizing every single genetic mutation or sarcoma histologic subtypes known to man, all with the anxiety of knowing that the people who holds their fate have no idea what they are doing, with the fuel to fire of making you wait nearly 8 weeks for the results.

• Haha
  • Love
While there is very much to celebrate today, with seemingly many people passing (congratulations!), it is important to remember the path taken to get here. Two ridiculous 'qualifying' exams that was filled with random trivia better suited for Jeopardy! than a test of clinical competence. It sounds like the ABR are righting their wrongs from last year's debacle (it's multifactorial, remember?) for the benefit of my colleagues, but many others in my class (c/o 2019 here) were unnecessarily penalized last year, all the while, the ABR is having their semi-annual meetings in Hawaii, using our annual ABR fees, laughing at how our class is not as smart as the previous generation (https://www.practicalradonc.org/article/S1879-8500(18)30122-X/abstract).

Much time and effort was placed into studying for an exam that literally no one had a clue what was on it, while each of the groups (ASTRO, RRC, ABR, ACR, ACGME) absolving themselves of any responsibility for our education. This is akin to Step 2 CS (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1213760), as a useless exam that many, if not all, would say has no bearing on actual clinical education and competence. So, imagine spending all of this time studying with absolutely no benefit to your future patients.

I know many are happy and relieved from their results today, but we await the final pass rates. Maybe the pass rate is high, then what was the test for? Who did we screen as an incompetent radiation oncologist? Maybe the pass rate is low, so the exam just screwed a bunch of people by letting them take a random trivia exam completely blind, who are otherwise good standardized test takers.

And, all of the PGY5s should know that their clinical exam is on July 24 next year (ABR), so instead of them focusing on transitioning from trainee to independent physician in their new job or enjoying time off before starting their new position, they better be memorizing every single genetic mutation or sarcoma histologic subtypes known to man, all with the anxiety of knowing that the people who holds their fate have no idea what they are doing, with the fuel to fire of making you wait nearly 8 weeks for the results.

Agreed. Honestly having gone through this I am overwhelmed by this feeling that our field is just F@@@@@. We dont know pass rates but even if high we have a board crisis in our hands with every leadership body absolving themselves of any responsibility. Did not even really care about the good news. I am numb, emotionally and physically exhausted. What a great field this is!

Agreed. Honestly having gone through this I am overwhelmed by this feeling that our field is just F@@@@@. We dont know pass rates but even if high we have a board crisis in our hands with every leadership body absolving themselves of any responsibility. Did not even really care about the good news. I am numb, emotionally and physically exhausted. What a great field this is!

When I took the exam it was basically a non event, now everyone flips out about it

when they find out they passed it’s like great now I can go back to being my normal baseline depression haha.

• Haha
When I took the exam it was basically a non event, now everyone flips out about it

when they find out they passed it’s like great now I can go back to being my normal baseline depression haha.

In any other year, I would agree with you that, normally, it was a non-event, until last year came around, where only 74% of people passed rad bio and 70% passed physics, making it a huge event. On top of that, the ABR blamed us (see Kachnic's ASTRO presentation and Wallner's PRO editorial), but they forget when they point their finger at us, three fingers point back at them.

You know what? Maybe in years' past, it was a non-event. I know many of people in years' past who said they didn't really study and still did fine. I wished I lived in that era. But tensions were high after last year, so I studied...a lot. I studied to pass this test, and I studied to fill my brain with any useful knowledge that my future patients can benefit from. Then, all the ABR did was give us a ridiculous exam that barely had any real radiation oncology on it that I could have taken without any preparation and still had a likely chance of passing.

So yeah, I think many of us are not very happy with these exams and felt slighted from the examination experience. But, at least in the past, when I get screwed, someone leaves the money on the dresser.

In any other year, I would agree with you that, normally, it was a non-event, until last year came around, where only 74% of people passed rad bio and 70% passed physics, making it a huge event. On top of that, the ABR blamed us (see Kachnic's ASTRO presentation and Wallner's PRO editorial), but they forget when they point their finger at us, three fingers point back at them.

You know what? Maybe in years' past, it was a non-event. I know many of people in years' past who said they didn't really study and still did fine. I wished I lived in that era. But tensions were high after last year, so I studied...a lot. I studied to pass this test, and I studied to fill my brain with any useful knowledge that my future patients can benefit from. Then, all the ABR did was give us a ridiculous exam that barely had any real radiation oncology on it that I could have taken without any preparation and still had a likely chance of passing.

So yeah, I think many of us are not very happy with these exams and felt slighted from the examination experience. But, at least in the past, when I get screwed, someone leaves the money on the dresser.

Exactly. This was supposed to be the easy test, the one that our clinical training and in-services had prepared us for, the "gimme" between Radbio/Physics, and Orals. The pass rates this year may show it was still a "gimme" but to what ends? After last year's debacle, we didn't know whether to expect a reprieve or another catastrophe. I see my other friends who are done with their board exams prior to completing residency or shortly afterward and had a reasonable test that they can take any day of the year anywhere and wonder why our process can't be like that. But we are the almighty radiation oncologist, master of the excessive board exam, hear us roar...

Thankfully, I passed. I had to reschedule my test to a city two hours away only one day before due to an incoming inclement weather event that the testing center could not confirm whether or not they would be open/have power. I called ABR and they were minimally helpful regarding discussing rescheduling (I had a trip planned afterward so making it up the next week wouldn't have helped me much), but thankfully it worked out. I used RadOnc Questions, Cleveland Clinic book a little, and my own notes mostly from RadOnc Questions. I thought RadOnc Questions were very helpful and I was learning quite a bit until the actual test showed up.

Also, moving the clinical exam to July 24th next year only helps those who failed Physics/RadBio. The date is even more problematic for those who are moving/starting a new job. Unfortunately, the only thing the ABR responded to fix likely ends up hurting more than it helps.

I have to agree with this and I hope others will as well. The last year of my life was hands down the most painful and miserable year of my life. I would re-do my surgery internship any day before I repeated my PGY5. I will not forget.

• Sad
But we are the almighty radiation oncologist, master of the excessive board exam, hear us roar...

I have to agree with this and I hope others will as well. The last year of my life was hands down the most painful and miserable year of my life. I would re-do my surgery internship any day before I repeated my PGY5. I will not forget.

Ah yes @metallica81788 and @dieABRdie, but remember the words of Sir Paul, you (and we all) owe the ABR and our forefathers a debt of gratitude because of all of this rigorous testing, you are now elevated and respected within the House of Medicine (The American Board of Radiology Initial Certification in Radiation Oncology: Moving Forward Through Collaboration. - PubMed - NCBI). o_O

1567650087367.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Meanwhile, once you pass these exams, remember that our well-regarded leaders state that the job market is great because while you may not get a good job as a clinical radiation oncologist, there are plenty of jobs in other areas outside of what you spent the past four years training for such as radiation epidemiology or frontier medicine (Enhancing Career Paths for Tomorrow's Radiation Oncologists. - PubMed - NCBI). That sounds like a better idea than what I had planned when I interviewed for residency of being a clinical radiation oncologist. Let me strap a linac to my covered wagon and head out west on the Oregon Trail, hoping to maybe treat some prostate cancer in exchange for money I can use at the trading post before I die of dysentery.

1567650989104.png

• Haha
Meanwhile, once you pass these exams, remember that our well-regarded leaders state that the job market is great because while you may not get a good job as a clinical radiation oncologist, there are plenty of jobs in other areas outside of what you spent the past four years training for such as radiation epidemiology or frontier medicine (Enhancing Career Paths for Tomorrow's Radiation Oncologists. - PubMed - NCBI). That sounds like a better idea than what I had planned when I interviewed for residency of being a clinical radiation oncologist. Let me strap a linac to my covered wagon and head out west on the Oregon Trail, hoping to maybe treat some prostate cancer in exchange for money I can use at the trading post before I die of dysentery.

View attachment 278847

Don’t worry folks, a Wallner mentee, UPENN academic definitely has our backs moving forward!

Let's keep it at least tangentially on topic folks. Deleted/edited a few off-topic posts. Oregon trail, while a great game, is not worthy of multiple posts and discussion ITT.

• Haha
anyone know where the 2020 radiation oncology WRITTEN boards thread is? thx!

• Haha
What are people hearing about these boards? I heard orals were cancelled? The ABR staying MUTE?

I hear that Paul Wallner is the Saul Alinsky of Rad Onc

Hot off the press, CNN breaking news!:

The ABR will move the written boards (physics, rad bio, clinical) to " no earlier than September 15, 2020", email just sent out to my co-residents. You are going to have to memorize those useless physics and rad bio things for a while until the ABR drops the bomb last minute to notify you that you are scheduled to take your boards soon. You're welcome!

I cannot get enough ABR. I got some very comfy ABR pillows and sheets through my involvement. I sleep comfortably in the loving hands of Paul Wallner, nightly.

• Haha

The ABR will move the written boards (physics, rad bio, clinical) to " no earlier than September 15, 2020", email just sent out to my co-residents. You are going to have to memorize those useless physics and rad bio things for a while until the ABR drops the bomb last minute to notify you that you are scheduled to take your boards soon. You're welcome!

I cannot get enough ABR. I got some very comfy ABR pillows and sheets through my involvement. I sleep comfortably in the loving hands of Paul Wallner, nightly.

I was literally reading some classic Caggiano when that email hit.

Given the murkiness of all these statements ("no earlier than..."), those of us in the boards cycle might have the opportunity to sit for these in uncomfortably tight schedules.

*soft, distant voice* ...yaaaay

• Haha

Glad they told us at least 3 months earlier. I don't envy the position the ABR is in. Regardless of what they do about this, they are going to be criticized.

Glad they told us at least 3 months earlier. I don't envy the position the ABR is in. Regardless of what they do about this, they are going to be criticized.
Please, let's criticize ABR. Not only because they "hurt" us, the diplomates, but also because now I'm afraid they're hurting patients. And I don't say that lightly.

PhotonBomb posted yesterday this:

So the ABR has hard data that its non-time-limited certificate holders are hurting patients. They do nothing. I hope everyone knows they could have made everyone have time-limited certificates. (But might makes right and the "old timers" protected their own when all this goofy board certification process started in the early 2000s.) Yet for time-limited holders, they do everything and anything under the sun under the guise of protecting patient care, having a good board certification process, etc.

Truly Kafkaesque.

• Sad