Clinical Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhonny depp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about undergoing my medical practice in a hospital abroad but i am not sure what should i do and how to choose a right hospital. This practice could be a great educational exprerience so if you know something about that in your country please write back. I am in Poland

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about undergoing my medical practice in a hospital abroad but i am not sure what should i do and how to choose a right hospital. This practice could be a great educational exprerience so if you know something about that in your country please write back. I am in Poland

Do I understand that you are a medical student in Poland who would like to come to the US for a visiting surgical elective?

If so, the general rules apply:

- you must be a final year student to do a visiting elective in the US
- you must carry health and malpractice insurance (which covers you in the US) at MOST US medical schools (some will provide it for you)
- there is no reason to do a rotation at a place which will charge you tuition (ie, Stanford, Harvard are two names that come to mind); you will get excellent training at any number of places without being charged for it
- as far as choosing a place, you simply need to decide what area of the country or which hospitals you are interested in, and check their websites for information
- all medical students at the program in question will have first choice of electives, so you will be placed last
- you need to start the process many months in advance of your desired rotation time
- see the International Forums for more information on doing electives in the US as an FMG