Clinical Educator Pathway in PCCM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_Green

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi -- I'm soon to be applying for pulmonary/CCM jobs -- in an academic institution but not grant funded (IE I'm hoping to be a clinical educator working in the ICU, on pulmonary consults and in pulmonary clinics). I'll be looking primarily in states along the east coast.

I realize things are drastically different between universities, but I'm hoping to get a general sense of what is "typical" for starting positions:
# weeks/year in the MICU
# weeks/year on consults
# weekends/year
# nights/year in the ICU (recognizing that many programs have in-house fellows and home call only for attendings)
# 1/2 days of clinics per week when not on inpatient service

Also, if anyone has thoughts on how to approach negotiating on any of the above, I'd appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I might suggest just starting where someone working in the community might. 15 shifts per month with a "shift" being a day/night in the ICU, a day doing hospital consults, or a day in clinic (half of which would probably be supervising a fellow's clinic). Weekends q4 to q6 (start with one weekend coverage of the ICU every other month and negotiate from there). Max 30 call nights shifts for the year. If it's just a home call system then you'll probably just be in the rotation with everyone else though I still wouldn't accept much more home call than q#-of-available-attenings-to-take-call (ie if there are 10 attendings including you who take home call, then home night call q10).

Hi -- I'm soon to be applying for pulmonary/CCM jobs -- in an academic institution but not grant funded (IE I'm hoping to be a clinical educator working in the ICU, on pulmonary consults and in pulmonary clinics). I'll be looking primarily in states along the east coast.

I realize things are drastically different between universities, but I'm hoping to get a general sense of what is "typical" for starting positions:
# weeks/year in the MICU
# weeks/year on consults
# weekends/year
# nights/year in the ICU (recognizing that many programs have in-house fellows and home call only for attendings)
# 1/2 days of clinics per week when not on inpatient service

Also, if anyone has thoughts on how to approach negotiating on any of the above, I'd appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

forgot to quote, see above