Clinical experience and Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Just 2 quick questions for anyone who can answer it. I used to work at a P.T clinic as a tech. Helped patients with exercises, stretches, etc. I now currently work at a chiro/acupuncture/pt office. (I know I know crazy chiros but its a job.). I pretty much do the same thing in this office plus ultrasounding patients when needed. My question is whether or not schools would accept this as clinical experience . Would DO schools but not MD?

The second part is when i was 15/16 I was able to go to Peru and help with a surgical clinic. My old man was a dr. and his coworker would travel to his hometown in peru every couple years and do free gen. surgeries. I was allowed to go an pretty much acted as a gopher getting anything they needed while doing this. I am a non trad so this was about 10 yrs ago. I would like to add this as part of my volunteering experience but am not sure since it was long ago and was just a pup then.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. If that isn't clinical experience what do you think is?

2. I wouldn't be holding a spot for it. It was in high school, 10 years ago, and never repeated. Its a cool experience, but not super relevant to your application right now

Reactions: 1 user
My question is whether or not schools would accept this as clinical experience .
1) I used to work at a P.T clinic as a tech. Helped patients with exercises, stretches, etc.

2) I now currently work at a chiro/acupuncture/pt office. (I know I know crazy chiros but its a job.). I pretty much do the same thing in this office plus ultrasounding patients when needed.

3) The second part is when i was 15/16 I was able to go to Peru and help with a surgical clinic. My old man was a dr. and his coworker would travel to his hometown in peru every couple years and do free gen. surgeries. I was allowed to go an pretty much acted as a gopher getting anything they needed while doing this. I am a non trad so this was about 10 yrs ago. I would like to add this as part of my volunteering experience but am not sure since it was long ago and was just a pup then.
1) Yes.

2) Probably, but depends on your description, type of patients, and might depend on the eye of the beholder.

I don't know if a certification is needed to do ultrasound therapy in a PT or medical office. If it is, and you don't have it, it would likely be judicious to refrain from mentioning that component of your job.

3) I suggest you keep this out of the EC section and use it in the PS as part of your journey to medicine (if it was). Unless you returned to the same site a few times in later years. HS activities rarely add much benefit to a med school application.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. If that isn't clinical experience what do you think is?

2. I wouldn't be holding a spot for it. It was in high school, 10 years ago, and never repeated. Its a cool experience, but not super relevant to your application right now

Thanks for the response. Ha yeah I assumed it would be too far back but was hopin! Ah well.
I had an individual at my school tell me that even though it was with patients the fact that it was at a PT/chiro office schools wouldnt look hightly on it. Pretty sure his reasoning was mostly based on the chiro part.

1) Yes.

2) Probably, but depends on your description, type of patients, and might depend on the eye of the beholder.

I don't know if a certification is needed to do ultrasound therapy in a PT or medical office. If it is, and you don't have it, it would likely be judicious to refrain from mentioning that component of your job.

3) I suggest you keep this out of the EC section and use it in the PS as part of your journey to medicine (if it was). Unless you returned to the same site a few times in later years. HS activities rarely add much benefit to a med school application.

Awesome thank you. There are needed and I have been certified. And yes it certainly helped the journey! I know schools like to see that you've been exposed to medicine so you know its what you really want to do and pretty much saw bit of everything while there. Theyve gone back but I was only able to go the one time.