Clinical Experience for Top Post-Bacs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to apply to Goucher's post-bac program, but haven't been able to find much information on how much clinical experience is necessary to be a competitive applicant. I currently have none, but have some nice connections at Johns Hopkins that could set me up with opportunities for both volunteering and shadowing. I'm entering my senior year of college and would like to begin my post-bac studies immediately after graduation.

So, if I were to apply to Goucher in, say, December, does anyone have any idea if three months or so of medical volunteer experience would be sufficient? Would you recommend both shadowing and volunteering, or one over the other? I know that both are all but required for medical school applications, but the guidelines for post-bac applications seem vague.

My numbers are more than good enough to get in (3.94 GPA, 1500 GRE), but I'm worried that my lack of extracurriculars may hold me back.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm planning to apply to Goucher's post-bac program, but haven't been able to find much information on how much clinical experience is necessary to be a competitive applicant. I currently have none, but have some nice connections at Johns Hopkins that could set me up with opportunities for both volunteering and shadowing. I'm entering my senior year of college and would like to begin my post-bac studies immediately after graduation.

So, if I were to apply to Goucher in, say, December, does anyone have any idea if three months or so of medical volunteer experience would be sufficient? Would you recommend both shadowing and volunteering, or one over the other? I know that both are all but required for medical school applications, but the guidelines for post-bac applications seem vague.

My numbers are more than good enough to get in (3.94 GPA, 1500 GRE), but I'm worried that my lack of extracurriculars may hold me back.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

There isn't a single perfect formula. My classmates @ Goucher had variable amounts of volunteer and/or shadowing experience when they applied. Those w/ less shadowing experience had strengths to their applications that outweighed the relative deficit. You do need to have some shadowing/volunteering to be competitive, but the exact amount is not set in stone.

If you volunteer/shadow regularly between now and December, then you should have enough hours to be competitive.

Good luck!

I agree with BetterLate; there isn't a minimum number of hours, but I would say that I probably came into Goucher with the least amount of clinical experience in my class, and I had about three months (4-8 hours a week) at interview time.

One thing to keep in mind, as BetterLate alluded to, is that while various numbers (GPA, SAT, GRE, volunteer hours, etc) are important, there is a lot more that goes into the decision process.

Good luck! Feel free to PM with any specific questions about Goucher.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think 3 mo would be fine. You sound like a competitive candidate if you can explain why medicine is for you.

While clinical experience is not a requirement, it would help your application, but with your GPA, I think you would be a competitive candidate regardless, they may however push you to do some volunteering and such during your postbac. I had about 3mo shadow experience, but I know people with no medical experience in my postbac too.