Clinical Experience... Leadership Skills?

Started by dandoe123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dandoe123

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been reading this site for a bit and not sure exactly where to post this question, but since I'm a non-trad (soon to be 29 hoping to go to MD after I finish my PhD in the next few months), I figure I'll try here.

I'm trying to find ways to get more clinical experience and leadership skills to help boost my ECs portion of my application, but kinda confused by what this exactly entails. What exactly did you people do to get such experience... ? I'm thinking volunteering at a hospital pushing people around in wheel chairs or etc doesn't quite count as "clinical" or am I wrong here? As for leadership skills, what exactly are they looking for? As a grad student, I've mentored younger students... does that count for anything?

Thanks.
 
I'm thinking volunteering at a hospital pushing people around in wheel chairs or etc doesn't quite count as "clinical" or am I wrong here?

That totally counts, and it's about the most efficient way to check the clinical volunteering box. One adcom who posts in pre-allo defines clinical experience as anything where you can smell patients.

As for leadership skills, what exactly are they looking for? As a grad student, I've mentored younger students... does that count for anything?

Mentoring certainly counts. Any TAing you've done counts. There will be very young applicants who have demonstrated amazing leadership, started a non-profit or something ridiculous, but the norm will be a one semester vice presidency of a campus club that the applicant helped to create (AED or what have you). This is where nontrads get to comparatively shine a bit, imho.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not yet in the process of med school, so others can feel free to post their comments, but I will just offer up a suggestion that I have picked up from the ranks in my field (law). A good way to get leadership experience can be through a community service/philanthropic group. It could be something like Rotary, or joining onto your local Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. There is a dearth of active participation (i.e. more than writing a check at Christmas time), and it can be hard and sometimes thankless work that involves a great deal of leadership skills (say, leading a local food drive, blood drive, etc.) (There is nothing harder than leading volunteers, period).

My advice on demonstrating leadership skills, find one that suits your interest, and commit to it. (The hardest part is picking, and it can be hard to figure out what groups really move and shake in your community--you want to be in that type of a group). There's actually a good spread of organizations that do things that really segue into the medical field. Just an example, Rotary may conduct fundraising or raising local support for a local or global immunization initiative (for which Rotary is certainly a driving force). Other local groups may support a homeless shelter, or a family support shelter or a shelter from domestic abuse, which if you ever witness, involves serious questions about access to health care, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum. I would imagine that it would be an easy conversation for you to describe how your action connects with your mission to enter the medical field as one of its natural leaders.

My other theory is this: at some point you are going to run into an interviewer who is either familiar or a part of your group (or knows or is married to someone who is, etc.) who will understand what role you played in that organization.
As someone who is now out a couple of years, you can take advantage of groups like this that your traditional pre-med student just has not had the time or perhaps the opportunity to seek out.

Take advantage of one of the assets that a non-trad has, which is actually a greater opportunity to participate as a community leader. I know that I would probably find that a community leader in a local group would have a more developed understanding of leadership in the community sense than, say, a SBA Vice-President. (Not that SBA leadership is not wonderful leadership experience).
 
I'm not yet in the process of med school, so others can feel free to post their comments, but I will just offer up a suggestion that I have picked up from the ranks in my field (law). A good way to get leadership experience can be through a community service/philanthropic group. It could be something like Rotary, or joining onto your local Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. There is a dearth of active participation (i.e. more than writing a check at Christmas time), and it can be hard and sometimes thankless work that involves a great deal of leadership skills (say, leading a local food drive, blood drive, etc.) (There is nothing harder than leading volunteers, period).

My advice on demonstrating leadership skills, find one that suits your interest, and commit to it. (The hardest part is picking, and it can be hard to figure out what groups really move and shake in your community--you want to be in that type of a group). There's actually a good spread of organizations that do things that really segue into the medical field. Just an example, Rotary may conduct fundraising or raising local support for a local or global immunization initiative (for which Rotary is certainly a driving force). Other local groups may support a homeless shelter, or a family support shelter or a shelter from domestic abuse, which if you ever witness, involves serious questions about access to health care, no matter where you stand on the political spectrum. I would imagine that it would be an easy conversation for you to describe how your action connects with your mission to enter the medical field as one of its natural leaders.

My other theory is this: at some point you are going to run into an interviewer who is either familiar or a part of your group (or knows or is married to someone who is, etc.) who will understand what role you played in that organization.
As someone who is now out a couple of years, you can take advantage of groups like this that your traditional pre-med student just has not had the time or perhaps the opportunity to seek out.

Take advantage of one of the assets that a non-trad has, which is actually a greater opportunity to participate as a community leader. I know that I would probably find that a community leader in a local group would have a more developed understanding of leadership in the community sense than, say, a SBA Vice-President. (Not that SBA leadership is not wonderful leadership experience).

yep, all of it is great on the app. the only thing I'd emphasize is to volunteer in a medical area you're interested in. if you're into peds, then work/volunteer in a peds ward/office/free clinic. attend free conferences at hospitals for peds, introduce yourself, and ask for advice, network. good luck and have patience, the entire application process is long but worthwhile!
 
I didn't have any clinical experience when I applied, but it was never an issue. I volunteered for a few years in a Heme/Onc ward for 4-8 hours one day a week. This time was spent talking to patients who were struggling emotionally with issues ranging from a very bad prognosis to questions about God to family problems. I also volunteered at a home hospice. I provided respite care for the family member so I was left alone to care for the dying person. Personally, I got a lot from this time and will always remember some of the patients. And it definitely helped with interviews. I would highly recommend these high-intensity experiences, for personal and application purposes. (Leadership wasn't a questions as I had been a litigator with a large support staff and community leadership experience.)

Good luck. 🙂