Clinical Experience vs More Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bali

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey yall,

I'm a junior, planning to apply to schools this summer, and am in kind of a dilemma about what to do for this summer.

I've been involved in research since my junior year of high school, in three different labs. The first lab was in high school, where I used my results to compete in the Siemens-Westinghouse Science and Technology Competition (in which I got to regional-semifinals). My first two years of college, including the summer between 1st and 2nd year, I did research in the Bio department at my school. Last summer and last semester, I did research at a private company, from which I am getting a publication, as well as travelling to national/regional conferences to present my work. I have the chance to potentially continue in this lab this summer...I might get a second publication (I am saying this based on my own guess, my PI hasnt said anything about that). I also would need to find funding for this research, and since I've used up funding awards at my university already for previous summers, I'd have to look hard for this (any suggestions?)

On the other hand, I am also considering doing a summer program that will let me intern for 6 weeks in a hospital in the Azores Islands. I have talked to previous members of this program, and it gives you an up close view of patient care that you apparently can't get in the States. So basically I am looking at a LOT of clinical/patient care experience with this option. also: azores. pretty nice place.

Here's my question: which one should I go with? I've done research for a total of 3 years and 2 summers, gotten several research fellowships, presented, published. On the other hand, my clinical experience so far has been mostly volunteering at the hospital since freshman year (burn center, emergency department, though the first two or three semesters were doing cubicle-farm work) and shadowing a few times this year (and in high school).

I wouldn't mind doing more research, I like the lab I am in currently. I just don't want the clinical side of my app to look weak. I talked to my premed advisor, and he said basically it was up to me...if i wanted to do MD/PhD, they like to see a lot of research, but for general MD, I might be fine. The thing is, I don't know yet if I want to do MD/PhD or not...its something that's up there though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends where you're applying and whether or not you're applying for MD/PhD. It also depends how many total hours you've volunteered up to this point.

The answer is simple, dearest. You need to go out and sit on a rock somewhere and think long and hard about your goals. If you decide that you want MD/PhD, then do research. If you want the solo MD, think more about the clinical experience. Tis' that simple.

Here is a sample illustration of an individual pondering a solution to the same conundrum as thou.
Hopefully, it gets you warmed up to think, old chap:

jlsr_thinker_003.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
is there no way you can take 6-8 weeks off from your lab and come back after the program?
especially since it's only a couple weeks and over the summer, I would expect them to be willing to lose you for that long...

@Frazier and Geneticist - that's pretty much what it comes down to, yea. kind of unsure about it though, kinda scary that I have to make that decision within the next few days (acceptance of the azores program is by the weekend). props for the visual aid Frazier.

@blehm98 - that was my original intent, but I'm also going back to the motherland for a month after when the azores program would end...family members are getting married and what not. After I came back to the states, I would have a month before school started again, a month in which I'm planning to start applying for schools.

Easy decision IMO. Take the clinical experience. If you'd said you were definitely getting that second publication out by summers end I'd think about it but DO NOT count on everything working out by summer. You sound like you have lots of research experience so I'm assuming you've experienced times when you don't get the results you're looking for and an anticipated 3 week experiment turns into a month and half or two.

You need to be well rounded to be competitive and you've already shown commitment to research, plus have a publication (awesome btw) so you'll have enough to talk about on paper and during interviews when it comes to that.

Also, when you mentioned the part about funding I was like uh oh. Forget it! Never count on funding (especially now). Don't know who is funding you but I'm just sayin....

If you feel like you're going to get quality patient contact and clinical "exposure" and the experience will mean something to you then do it!!

I was leaning towards the clinical experience as well. If 3 years of research and a pub doesn't fulfill the requirements for an MD/PhD program, I don't know what will.

@Frazier and Geneticist - that's pretty much what it comes down to, yea. kind of unsure about it though, kinda scary that I have to make that decision within the next few days (acceptance of the azores program is by the weekend). props for the visual aid Frazier.

@blehm98 - that was my original intent, but I'm also going back to the motherland for a month after when the azores program would end...family members are getting married and what not. After I came back to the states, I would have a month before school started again, a month in which I'm planning to start applying for schools.
in that case i'd take the clinical experience. Whatever you're doing actually sounds pretty unique, and if you absolutely must you could always try to get a little more research in next year.
anyway, most MD/PhD programs i think would be pretty happy with 3 years of research, especially with a publication, if you can get some rock solid clinical experience it would probably do more for you than another couple months in the lab