Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_OneDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What exactly counts as clinical experience or volunteering? What are some examples of clinical volunteering?

I have some shadowing and 20 hrs of being a medical translator at local free clinic.

Would volunteering as a medical scribe count as clinical exposure? Do med schools generally like to see scribing on an applicant's application?

Members don't see this ad.

Do people volunteer scribe?

Either way, yes it is clinical experience. Though, I doubt schools see it above any other form of clinical volunteering/job. It seems like 80% of applicants have scribing on their application. If you are looking for a good view of medicine, and a means to "check the box", then go ahead.

On the other hand, that medical translator gig is interesting. Why not continue that?

You're new here so maybe you haven't seen my sig line...

What it means is that you need not touch the patients but you should be in their close proximity. Scribing and interpreting are clinical experiences. Whether you are a volunteer or a paid employee will determine which tag you use on your AMCAS but either way it can be tagged as clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
Se the wise LizzyM's post above.

to me, it means patient contact experience. You don't have to be doing phlebotomy or placing a central line, it's being around them and getting to know what it's like to be in proximity to sick people and their families.

Examples include hospital, clinics, hospice, nursing homes, Planned parenthood, Camps for sick kids, and crisis hotlines. A little more indirect is Ronald McDonald House.

What exactly counts as clinical experience or volunteering? What are some examples of clinical volunteering?

I have some shadowing and 20 hrs of being a medical translator at local free clinic.

Would volunteering as a medical scribe count as clinical exposure? Do med schools generally like to see scribing on an applicant's application?