Clinical experience???...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Candy_cane2011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been going to med school tours and talks and they all preach clinical experience as being a must, which I understand.

I am currently a pre med/psychology/biology student who wants to become a psychiatrist and I am trying to find clinical experience and I have had 2 opportunities dropped in my lap recently. First opportunity is that one medical school in my area has positions open for contingent behavioral therapists for kids with autism. The other opportunity I found through a friend's parent who is a RN at a local hospital and they are looking for contingent patient care technicians.

Which would be the best to persue?

My university no longer has a premed advisor and I have run it past other professors but no one really has any advice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pursue whichever you want. What kind of experience you have matters far less than the fact that you have it. The purpose of getting clinical experience as a premed is to figure out whether you want to work with sick people for the rest of your life and then be able to have some way to convince adcoms of this fact.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't answer your question but if that's you in your profile picture, you'll probably want to change it to maintain your anonymity.

Either one is probably fine. Do you have the training required for the behavioral therapist position? If not, being a PCT can be a humbling job but from my friends who have been PCTs prior to med school, it's a good experience with excellent clinical exposure.

They're both good. Pick whichever one is more interesting.

If you can't decide, flip a coin.

So I have been going to med school tours and talks and they all preach clinical experience as being a must, which I understand.

I am currently a pre med/psychology/biology student who wants to become a psychiatrist and I am trying to find clinical experience and I have had 2 opportunities dropped in my lap recently. First opportunity is that one medical school in my area has positions open for contingent behavioral therapists for kids with autism. The other opportunity I found through a friend's parent who is a RN at a local hospital and they are looking for contingent patient care technicians.

Which would be the best to persue?

My university no longer has a premed advisor and I have run it past other professors but no one really has any advice.

Thanks!