Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meisbad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently offered a position as a medical assistant in a medical clinic for internal medicine. Although most medical assistants have certification, or an associates degree for this specialty, I was able to get it without either. This job includes maintaining patient records, conducting phlebotomy, Ekgs, etc. I was wondering if this would be viable to use on my resume towards clinical hours because this occupation leans towards nursing duties.

Members don't see this ad.

This is about as good as it gets for clinical experience for a pre-med. You are close to, and even touching, patients in a setting where they are seeking and receiving medical services. You'd be crazy not to include it as a clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I was recently offered a position as a medical assistant in a medical clinic for internal medicine. Although most medical assistants have certification, or an associates degree for this specialty, I was able to get it without either. This job includes maintaining patient records, conducting phlebotomy, Ekgs, etc. I was wondering if this would be viable to use on my resume towards clinical hours because this occupation leans towards nursing duties.
Absolutely you should include this as active clinical experience. Maybe opportunities for physician shadowing will be available as a side benefit (which is a passive observational experience, that is also expected) .

U don’t have an associates or any kind of cert’s for med school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk