This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dridk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from undergrad and I'm entering a postbach this upcoming semester. I’m looking for jobs and opportunities that’ll help me get more patient contact. There’s a case management position that’s hiring in an outpatient mental health clinic and I would be able to get more patient contact. However, I’d be helping them apply for social security, insurance, helping them understand their treatment plans, assist in getting their biopsychsocial history, and help them get resources from outside areas. I would be working with drug addicts and people with severe psychiatric disorders. I am not sure if this would be considered clinical experience since I will not be working directly with doctors/nurses, but I would be interacting more with the patients.

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated from undergrad and I'm entering a postbach this upcoming semester. I’m looking for jobs and opportunities that’ll help me get more patient contact. There’s a case management position that’s hiring in an outpatient mental health clinic and I would be able to get more patient contact. However, I’d be helping them apply for social security, insurance, helping them understand their treatment plans, assist in getting their biopsychsocial history, and help them get resources from outside areas. I would be working with drug addicts and people with severe psychiatric disorders. I am not sure if this would be considered clinical experience since I will not be working directly with doctors/nurses, but I would be interacting more with the patients.
I would absolutely consider this to be an active clinical experience. And an excellent one.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely clinical! And a very admirable venue as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical experience doesn't have to be narrowed down to working with doctors or nurses. I volunteer for hospice and provide companionship to the elderly that are on their last few moments of life. I never see a doctor or nurse when I'm there, but I'm still interacting with patients and providing care.

I wouldn't let this take away from the importance of shadowing, however. I think medical schools still want you to shadow physicians to make sure you know and understand what being a doctor is like. As far as clinical experience goes, it can come in all shapes and sizes. Main thing is you want to be working or caring for patients in some fashion.

Reactions: 1 user
I like to say that you have to be working with patients in order for an experience to be "clinical". You said you will work with patients so you said the magic word. It sounds like a beneficial experience with a population that can be very "difficult" to work with.

Reactions: 1 users