Clinical Exposure: California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed414

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I go to school out of state, but am coming home for the summer and would love to start getting clinical experience in any sort of setting during the summer. However, I do not know of any programs or anything that can help make this come true. I've called local hospitals and many of them said it's hard for volunteers to work with patients due to all the "red tape". Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical Care Extenders is definitely the way to go. I had a girl who finished all 240 hrs over the summer and rotated through 3 or 4 different floors. She had been able to make special arrangements with the program to do this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical Care Extenders is definitely the way to go. I had a girl who finished all 240 hrs over the summer and rotated through 3 or 4 different floors. She had been able to make special arrangements with the program to do this.

she might be an exception because I don't think clinical care extender is feasible to do over the summer. I did the program that's it's usually a year-round program. You need get 240 hours or else you won't get certificate of completion. You get to rotate through different departments every 3 months, so if you only do it over the summer you probably won't get to rotate through different departments.
And I thin they only recruit 2 times a year and you have to go through their training before you can volunteer.

This sounds like a great opportunity, and I would love to do it if I can over the summer. However it does say year-long commitment. Are there any other opportunities available, especially over the summer?