clinical exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello3angel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from shadowing doctors, how can I get clinical experience without having any type of certification? I added the "without having certification" part because I already volunteer at a hospital but am limited to the type of work I can do. I want real clinical experience where I can actually do something clinical in nature. I actually want to work one-on-one with patients. How can I get this kind of experience without being medically certified?

Also, would volunteering at flu clinics be considered clinical? I ask this because someone mentioned volunteering at blood drives as being clinical. However, unless the volunteer is certified to draw blood, all he/she will end up doing is passing out forms, answering questions, and filing paperwork. Same kind of deal with someone who isn't certified to give shots at flu clinics. I have a hard time believing this is considered "clinical." Or maybe my definition of "clinical" is warped?

Members don't see this ad.

I volunteered at a free med clinic where we could vitals (BP, temp, height/weight). I did that also in the ER while helping to move patients, cleaning them, hooking up EKG leads, etc.

I also think talking to patients is clinical. Since I had "extra" time, I could sit with patients and talk to them and most times make them feel better. :)

So, maybe look around for that. The more rural areas you seem to get to do more....love the South now!!

You are not going to get to do a lot of "real" clinical stuff without certification. Especially if you are looking for something you can get into really quick. Everyone I know that did "real" stuff without any cert. had worked for the doctor for a long time. I know that a few of my classmates worked as ER scribes, but I don't know if you can do that without certification.

I think that the best kind of clinical exposure you can get is hospice. You get to visit with patients (counts as clinical exp.) and you are exposed to the less "warm and fuzzy" side of medical care.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not going to get to do a lot of "real" clinical stuff without certification. Especially if you are looking for something you can get into really quick. Everyone I know that did "real" stuff without any cert. had worked for the doctor for a long time. I know that a few of my classmates worked as ER scribes, but I don't know if you can do that without certification.

I think that the best kind of clinical exposure you can get is hospice. You get to visit with patients (counts as clinical exp.) and you are exposed to the less "warm and fuzzy" side of medical care.

Good luck.

:) :thumbup: I agree.... That's where the majority of my clinical experience came from.

I volunteered at a free med clinic where we could vitals (BP, temp, height/weight). I did that also in the ER while helping to move patients, cleaning them, hooking up EKG leads, etc.

I also think talking to patients is clinical. Since I had "extra" time, I could sit with patients and talk to them and most times make them feel better. :)

So, maybe look around for that. The more rural areas you seem to get to do more....love the South now!!

This. I got to see and do a lot in a free clinic. It's good clinical exposure.

I volunteer weekly at a free clinic run by medical students...I pretty much get to do entire physical exams and patient history while a medical student stands over me an helps me if I get stuck. I also get to present patients to attending physicians at the clinic. Its a pretty awesome experience. I was actually told about this place by a medical school counselor. If you live near a medical school, from what I understand many medical schools have clinics like these, call the admissions dept. and see if they can recommend a place to volunteer where you'll get decent exposure.

I volunteer weekly at a free clinic run by medical students...I pretty much get to do entire physical exams and patient history while a medical student stands over me an helps me if I get stuck. I also get to present patients to attending physicians at the clinic. Its a pretty awesome experience. I was actually told about this place by a medical school counselor. If you live near a medical school, from what I understand many medical schools have clinics like these, call the admissions dept. and see if they can recommend a place to volunteer where you'll get decent exposure.

Wow, that is pretty sweet!!