Clinical externship for dummies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
The POIs from one of the programs I applied to said having a clinical externship would improve my chances of getting accepted should I apply again. Is there a way for someone not already in a graduate program to get one of these? I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know what type of clinical experience you are looking for. I volunteer at a state mental health hospital and lead groups and have lots of consumer/client interaction. Maybe you have a state hospital near you? If I had a VA near me I would check that out too.

I don't know what the POI meant by getting an 'externship' but I imagine it's probably just a matter of semantics. Most hospitals don't list internship/externships but do list volunteer positions. Try your local medical center and a state psychiatric institute. They're probably your best bets. To be honest though, my clinical experience was pretty limited pre-grad school compared to the research training I had.

I don't know what type of clinical experience you are looking for. I volunteer at a state mental health hospital and lead groups and have lots of consumer/client interaction. Maybe you have a state hospital near you? If I had a VA near me I would check that out too.