Clinical Face Off: Wvu vs. Priapism

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure many of you would agree that Wvu and Priapism are two of the finest pharmacists. Wvu worked in retail for four years but now he has moved up and currently works as a clinical pharmacist in a prestigious rural hospital. Priapism decided to do another year of residency and he hopes that one day he would become the director of the FDA and forever destroy the evil pharmaceutical industry (even if he has to do another year of residency).

These two clinical pharmacists are the finest in the pharmacy profession but who's better? Wvu or Priapism?! Let's have a clinical face off!! Let's ask them questions (only clinical questions of course) to determine who is the superior clinician. I want you, retail pharmacists (hell, even if you as retail pharmacy clerk) to participate! Let's begin!

Question #1: The patient is on lithium. The physician wants to give the patient an NSAID for his rheumatoid arthritis. However, the physician is concerned that the NSAID may increase his lithium level and cause the patient to suffer from lithium toxicity. He remembers hearing last night that there is one NSAID that is least likely to increase lithium level but he was busy checking out a hot nurse and forgot the name of the drug. Fortunately, a clinical pharmacist is near by so he asked him. As a clinical pharmacist, what is your answer?
Update: sulindac! :thumbup:Wvu 1. Pria 0.:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow, that little thread from last night has you all fired up.

Members don't see this ad :)
little edit - wasn't wvu's 4 year stint in retail predominantly as a student? maybe he can clarify - i'm sure he didn't graduate 4 years ago.

You guys are way too funny! Priapism has read the question so let's give WVU a chance to answer it.

You guys are way too funny! Priapism has read the question so let's give WVU a chance to answer it.

I would destroy them. Just like in the clinical skills competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure many of you would agree that Wvu and Priapism are two of the finest pharmacists. Wvu worked in retail for four years but now he has moved up and currently works as a clinical pharmacist in a prestigious rural hospital. Priapism decided to do another year of residency and he hopes that one day he would become the director of the FDA and forever destroy the evil pharmaceutical industry (even if he has to do another year of residency).

These two clinical pharmacists are the finest in the pharmacy profession but who's better? Wvu or Priapism?! Let's have a clinical face off!! Let's ask them questions (only clinical questions of course) to determine who is the superior clinician. I want you, retail pharmacists (hell, even if you as retail pharmacy clerk) to participate! Let's begin!

Question: The patient is on lithium. The physician wants to give the patient an NSAID for his rheumatoid arthritis. However, the physician is concerned that the NSAID may increase his lithium level and cause the patient to suffer from lithium toxicity. He remember hearing last night that there is one NSAID that is least likely to increase lithium level but he was busy checking out a hot nurse and forgot the name of the drug. Fortunately, a clinical pharmacist is near by so he asked him. As a clinical pharmacist, what is your answer?

why are you riding these two guys dicks so much..there just people who post on a pharmacy forum.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Question: The patient is on lithium. The physician wants to give the patient an NSAID for his rheumatoid arthritis. However, the physician is concerned that the NSAID may increase his lithium level and cause the patient to suffer from lithium toxicity. He remember hearing last night that there is one NSAID that is least likely to increase lithium level but he was busy checking out a hot nurse and forgot the name of the drug. Fortunately, a clinical pharmacist is near by so he asked him. As a clinical pharmacist, what is your answer?

lol, this was one of our first year case studies (except the hot nurse part)

"Whatever is most cost effective!" ~PBM

interesting. that's something that never came up in my edumacation. learn something new every day!

what else did I learn today. Oh yeah, Daptomycin-associated arrhythmia. Heard two residents talking in the hall about it. Asked them about it. Good times in the teaching hospital.

Well, you could be wanting tylenol, aspirin, or sulindac. I'd wager you are after sulindac. But that's just random, easy trivia. You're embarrassing yourself by pretending that this represents some sort of unbelievably difficult challenge.

Why don't you tell me the mechanism behind WHY, say, sulindac causes less lithium toxicity than other NSAIDS. Break out the prostaglandin biochemical pathways and impress us.

Hell, I don't even really like clinical pharmacy. It's too monotonous and will get old in a year or so. Read guidelines...apply them...read more guidelines...apply them. Ad infinitum. But it just so happens to be way, way better than retail that in comparison it seems awesome. I'm all about medicinal chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmacology. Honestly, I'm thinking about a fellowship somewhere to get into industry once the danged economy picks back up and they start hiring again. I really belong in translational medicine...I'd eat that **** up.

Last edited:
Well, you could be wanting tylenol, aspirin, or sulindac.

Sulindac! And the winner is Wvu (and the crowd goes wild)!!

:thumbup:Wvu 1. Pria 0.:thumbdown:

(btw, tylenol is not be a good option for rheumatoid arthritis since it is an autoimmune mediated inflammatory disorder)

Who's next? Who's going to ask the next question and challenge these two fine pharmacists?

and the winner is Wvu (and the crowd goes wild)!!

:thumbup:Wvu 1. Pria 0.:thumbdown:

(btw, tylenol is not be a good option for rheumatoid arthritis since it is an inflammatory disorder)

Who's next? Who's going to ask the next question and challenge these two fine pharmacists?

Yeah, but what the mechanism behind it, mr. passive aggression?

I dare not go against you. You are a hospital stud.

I swear to God...if they did a survey of pharmacists, you'd find that 90% of them were passive-aggressive introverts with no aggression. I can just see this putz somehow thinking the above somehow "bests" someone...somehow... :rolleyes:

How about you actually defend big-box retail pharmacy rather than going of on inane tangents about the big, bad non-retail pharmacists demeaning your job...which is ironically demeaning in and of itself.

How about you actually defend big-box retail pharmacy rather than going of on inane tangents about the big, bad non-retail pharmacists demeaning your job...which is ironically demeaning in and of itself.

This is the clinical face off thread, not the "I hate retail" thread.

This is the clinical face off thread, not the "I hate retail" thread.

I think that is a trait of hospital pharmacists...a one track mind only able to focus on one detail at a time. He seems to be stuck on his I hate retail thread because I wasn't smart enough to do it track. I guess if you can't hack being a real pharmacist there is always a comfey chair for you at the order entry computer at your local hospital.

I think that is a trait of hospital pharmacists...a one track mind only able to focus on one detail at a time. He seems to be stuck on his I hate retail thread because I wasn't smart enough to do it track. I guess if you can't hack being a real pharmacist there is always a comfey chair for you at the order entry computer at your local hospital.

Yeah, you're right. I couldn't figure out how to average 5 items per bag when bagging up groceries, so I got sacked.

Why don't you tell me the mechanism behind WHY, say, sulindac causes less lithium toxicity than other NSAIDS. Break out the prostaglandin biochemical pathways and impress us.

you used to come up with good analogies for pharmacology stuff. Care to explain this one? (I'm serious. While you would probably never teach in the academic setting due to the politics I think you could be a great preceptor with the analogies and illustrations)

I think this thread is ridiculous. If people want to do retail, let them. Don't try to talk them out of it. I don't want them applying for the job that I know I want.

you used to come up with good analogies for pharmacology stuff. Care to explain this one? (I'm serious. While you would probably never teach in the academic setting due to the politics I think you could be a great preceptor with the analogies and illustrations)

I think this thread is ridiculous. If people want to do retail, let them. Don't try to talk them out of it. I don't want them applying for the job that I know I want.

That's a toughie. Plus, the mechanism is only theoretical. Mmmmm....reversible prodrugs....