clinical grades

Started by eyehope
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Originally posted by eyehope
Here's the deal: I've done pretty well in my first two years at a ho-hum state school (maybe 70% honors) and have a step 1 > 245. However, I ended up with a Pass in internal medicine. The comments from interns, residents were generally good, but not outstanding. I had an average shelf score.

Perhaps I am being a little bit premature and a little bit paranoid by asking this, but how much will this hinder my application? Let's say I only 'pass' my upcoming rotations, but do well in my optho elective. How bad will this look to directors?

I am not trolling for responses. I just want to get honest opinions on my competitiveness (especially since I've heard that medicine, surgery, and optho grades are very important) to determine whether (and how much) I should look into other fields.

Thanks.

In my opinion, you'll be fine. You don't have to have honors in medicine to be competitive. I was informed that programs look more at the surgical grades. However, just make sure you get honors in ophthalmology.