Clinical lab scientist program as a backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was looking into CLS/MT as a potential backup if pharmacy school doesn't become a reality. :xf: The pay rate here in CA is $32-42/hour. After doing some quick math, a CLS seems to receive a net pay that is equivalent to what a pharmacist receives after deductions and student loan payment, about $3500.

Has anyone else looked into this as a backup or have any thoughts about this?

Edit: I forgot to had that the program is only 2 years and costs anywhere from $6k-$20k.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I was planning on that too if I didn't get into pharmacy school after two years of university. It's actually not that bad, there is a program at OHSU that 20k and you finish in 15 months. I think in oregon a pharmacist usually makes roughly 56 dollars on nightshift with differencial an hour and a CLS makes about 30 on the nightshift including differencial

WOw this was exactly my back up too. But i live in cali. i cant seem to find info on this. i was a chem major and dont know what else i need to take, in terms of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you looked at this website yet?
http://www.camlt.org/train.html
It gives you basic info and liscensing things for CA, and link to websites of all the schools in CA that offer LFS (Labratory Field Science) and/or CLS (clinical labratory science)...

This is a good profession. My mom is a CLS and she pulls in a good amount of money - she's been a CLS forever and is pretty high up there. I think UC Irvine has a program.

Last edited: