Clinical lab scientist program as a backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ILikeDrugs

pre-attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was looking into CLS/MT as a potential backup if pharmacy school doesn't become a reality. :xf: The pay rate here in CA is $32-42/hour. After doing some quick math, a CLS seems to receive a net pay that is equivalent to what a pharmacist receives after deductions and student loan payment, about $3500.

Has anyone else looked into this as a backup or have any thoughts about this?

Edit: I forgot to had that the program is only 2 years and costs anywhere from $6k-$20k.
 
Yeah, I was planning on that too if I didn't get into pharmacy school after two years of university. It's actually not that bad, there is a program at OHSU that 20k and you finish in 15 months. I think in oregon a pharmacist usually makes roughly 56 dollars on nightshift with differencial an hour and a CLS makes about 30 on the nightshift including differencial
 
WOw this was exactly my back up too. But i live in cali. i cant seem to find info on this. i was a chem major and dont know what else i need to take, in terms of class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you looked at this website yet?
http://www.camlt.org/train.html
It gives you basic info and liscensing things for CA, and link to websites of all the schools in CA that offer LFS (Labratory Field Science) and/or CLS (clinical labratory science)...
 
This is a good profession. My mom is a CLS and she pulls in a good amount of money - she's been a CLS forever and is pretty high up there. I think UC Irvine has a program.
 
Last edited: