clinical medicine sucketh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am far too lazy this morning to search for the previous clinical medicine sucks thread.

All I gotta say is that I have been on my medicine sub-I, and I HATE IT.

Three more days of this crap, then I am done, with everything. Yep, done with clinical medicine, and done with med school. Can I get a "hell yeah"?

Members don't see this ad.

stormjen said:
I am far too lazy this morning to search for the previous clinical medicine sucks thread.

Three more days of this crap, then I am done, with everything. Yep, done with clinical medicine, and done with med school. Can I get a "hell yeah"?

I'm with you, storm! I have two weeks of anesthesia and then I'm off to do househunting May 1. Hang in there. It will all be over soon enough. I'm in plastic surg right now where I spend most of my days watching this guy remove stitches from little kids with dog bites. FASCINATING!!! But it's better than medicine... Congrats on getting done with everything...

oh, you suck, but congratulations! i've got 3 1/2 more weeks of outpatient medicine to go before i get to give my stethoscope to a homeless kid or something. however, my presence is only required from 9 am to 1 pm, so it's not a bad way to end this whole shebang......

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my last overnight call! YES!

:D

Got home post-call at 1pm. At 2:15 received page from unit...

"I don't know if I'm calling the right person, but Mr. Smith has a headache."

Well, you know what to do.

"But there isn't an order in!"

And I'm the clinical clerk.

~
Nights in-hospital when you don't get called past midnight STILL SUCK because you get woken up by the pager in the NEXT ROOM.

Can't you just sign your pager out to someone else? That way someone ELSE gets paged after your shift is over....i.e., Mr. Smith's headache on post-call afternoon falls under the "not my problem" cagtegory.

AndyMilonakis said:
Can't you just sign your pager out to someone else? That way someone ELSE gets paged after your shift is over....i.e., Mr. Smith's headache on post-call afternoon falls under the "not my problem" cagtegory.
Unfortunately I am using my pager number on my Moving Sale notices :oops:

I guess I could also just turn it off.

deschutes likes to refer to herself in the third person when she's tired.

AndyMilonakis said:
deschutes likes to refer to herself in the third person when she's tired.
How astute you are! Although it seems I was not very tired. I slept all of 20 minutes. And then I got up, sold more stuff and watched Independence Day. Catharsis! Another excellent do-nothing post-call day :)

deschutes said:
How astute you are! Although it seems I was not very tired. I slept all of 20 minutes. And then I got up, sold more stuff and watched Independence Day. Catharsis! Another excellent do-nothing post-call day :)
I am astute. Thank you.

I liked Independence Day...although I'm not a big fan of Will Smith as a movie actor. The ending was kinda silly where they upload a computer virus up to the mothership. Oh...then there's the priceless presidential speech by Lonestar :laugh: It ranks up there with Rocky's speech to the Russian spectators after beating Drago in Rocky IV.

I am in the hospital now. This CD-burner is taking an awful long time. I want to get to bed!

Oh and **** it just spat the CD out at me saying there are "Unspecified Errors" on the disc! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
deschutes said:
I am in the hospital now. This CD-burner is taking an awful long time. I want to get to bed!

Oh and **** it just spat the CD out at me saying there are "Unspecified Errors" on the disc! :mad:
i thought you were post call. wtf are you doing back in the hospital?

deschutes said:
Different hospital. This one is my home base. I have the key to the path dept.
sneaky...using department stuff for personal use, ey? :laugh:

deschutes said:
Different hospital. This one is my home base. I have the key to the path dept.

Why are you up so late? :confused: I hope you are not stuck doing a presentation or something.

I am going to go to bed soon, even though I have slept 10-11 hours each of the last two nights. :sleep:

beary said:
Why are you up so late? :confused: I hope you are not stuck doing a presentation or something.
No. They don't make clerks do presentations here, thank heavens.

I am trying to put the dept's CD-burner to some use. It is not working well.

Incidentally, I had emailed yaah's BCC to one of the residents. That .jpg is now on the desktop of this digital imaging computer :laugh:

deschutes said:
Incidentally, I had emailed yaah's BCC to one of the residents. That .jpg is now on the desktop of this digital imaging computer :laugh:

Reminders of yaah are everywhere. :laugh:

deschutes said:
you mean the picture is the desktop wallpaper? that would be pretty sweet.

AndyMilonakis said:
you mean the picture is the desktop wallpaper? that would be pretty sweet.
No, the file icon is sitting on the desktop. Perhaps that is wise. It is hard to tell who will be offended and who not.

**** it I just blew another blank CD! That's it I'm going home.

Well I'm off to bed.

Hope you get the condo Andy - let us know!

Hope your clinical days sucketh as little as possible deschutes!

stormjen said:

I have a whole transitional year ahead of me!!! :scared:

I HATE WALKAROUND ROUNDS!! +pissed+

Why does a lady with melena stool x 10 days have elevated lipase at presentation without a fever, white count or abdo pain? I dunno. On a glass of milk and a handful of snack mix all day, I can barely care less.

Man I am so paying for not sleeping early last night.

deschutes said:
I HATE WALKAROUND ROUNDS!! +pissed+

Why does a lady with melena stool x 10 days have elevated lipase at presentation without a fever, white count or abdo pain? I dunno. On a glass of milk and a handful of snack mix all day, I can barely care less.

Man I am so paying for not sleeping early last night.

She drinks too much.

Next question.

yaah said:
Did they give you a potential move in date? Because sometimes it can take a couple of months.
The deal was signed at 2 pm today. Closing date is May 20th. I can move in whenever after that day. Woohoo!

I am impressed. You navigated the boston housing market quite efficiently and apparently didn't have to bribe anyone.

yaah said:
I am impressed. You navigated the boston housing market quite efficiently and apparently didn't have to bribe anyone.
Well, we were there for only 3 days total and most of the work was done yesterday and today. However, the planning that went into it in the past few weeks was important. Considering that we had $100K to put down, that really opened up options for us (my parents really came up huge on this one for which I am so grateful). Without that downpayment power, there is no way I would have been preapproved for my loan. I'm even surprised that on my salary alone, I qualified for a $250K loan...somehow, it's just not right to me :laugh:

It also helped to have a very helpful real estate agent which I think really made the difference. After the closing date, I would not hesitate one bit in recommending this agent to anyone who is thinking of buying in Boston.

AndyMilonakis said:
The deal was signed at 2 pm today. Closing date is May 20th. I can move in whenever after that day. Woohoo!

That's fantastic - congratulations! :clap:

beary said:
That's fantastic - congratulations! :clap:
Thanks. It feels great to get this step behind me. There's still a laundry list of things to do.

Oh well, I'm just looking forward to driving back to A2 tomorrow (i.e., later this morning), playing some ultimate, and then the subsequent cooldown at the local pub.

AndyMilonakis said:
Oh well, I'm just looking forward to driving back to A2 tomorrow (i.e., later this morning), playing some ultimate, and then the subsequent cooldown at the local pub.

I made the drive out to Nebraska today to see my family. It is nice to be home. My folks are so nice and got an expensive bottle of champagne for me. :)

My sleep cycle is completely F'd. :mad:

I slept the sleep of exhaustion on the 45-minute bus ride home.
When I got home I went straight to bed. This was like at 7pm.

I found I couldn't sleep. My lovely bed. What a waste.

And now I'm up still.

Call tomorrow. Just two more call nights........ *grits teeth*

beary said:
I made the drive out to Nebraska today to see my family. It is nice to be home. My folks are so nice and got an expensive bottle of champagne for me. :)
yeah, my parents and I drove back home to DC today. we polished off a nice bottle of bordeaux during supper.

did your folks make it up to the thesis defense?

deschutes said:

I slept the sleep of exhaustion on the 45-minute bus ride home.
When I got home I went straight to bed. This was like at 7pm.

I found I couldn't sleep. My lovely bed. What a waste.

And now I'm up still.

Call tomorrow. Just two more call nights........ *grits teeth*

NyQuil :D

deschutes said:

That sucks. :(
Hang in there - just two more nights! Then we have a lifetime as a pathologist sleeping in our own beds to look forward to! :thumbup:

AndyMilonakis said:
did your folks make it up to the thesis defense?

No, unfortunately my dad had a big business meeting that same day. It's not a big deal at all, but it would've been nice to have them there - I showed a picture of them at the end in my acknowledgments and I think they would have enjoyed that. But I told them that I did that. :)

It seems as though I am talking to myself with three posts in a row. Well I guess this is the fourth. :laugh:

beary said:
No, unfortunately my dad had a big business meeting that same day. It's not a big deal at all, but it would've been nice to have them there - I showed a picture of them at the end in my acknowledgments and I think they would have enjoyed that. But I told them that I did that. :)
yeah...it was should i say...em...interesting...for my parents to be at my defense. it still didn't prevent me from inserting jokes and one-liners into my defense talk. the embarrassing part was the after-defense party...see, apparently my time in the lab has been associated with many "moments." and believe me, although i tried valiantly to keep many of the stories under wraps, a few leaked out which caused my parents to raise their brows a bit.

beary said:
It seems as though I am talking to myself with three posts in a row. Well I guess this is the fourth. :laugh:
at least you haven't picked up quant's posting habits. he'll quote the same quote in two consecutive, different posts...sometimes three!

i wonder if he is aware that the edit post function exists... :laugh:

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah...it was should i say...em...interesting...for my parents to be at my defense. it still didn't prevent me from inserting jokes and one-liners into my defense talk.

My mentor told some embarrassing stories about me while he was introducing me at the seminar. But that was about it. I tend to get nervous/stiff when I am giving a talk so I don't throw in jokes. I always want to, and have these good ideas for it, but then when the time comes I don't do it.

beary said:
My mentor told some embarrassing stories about me while he was introducing me at the seminar. But that was about it. I tend to get nervous/stiff when I am giving a talk so I don't throw in jokes. I always want to, and have these good ideas for it, but then when the time comes I don't do it.
Yeah, that's pretty much obligatory for your boss to do that during the introduction. My boss did the same...then he commented on how I joke too much when giving talks and was wondering what my defense talk would be like.

I'm pretty evil when making talks. To make long stories short...you don't want pictures or picture files to fall in my lap. If they do...they will get scanned in and incorporated into the next lab meeting. Oh BTW, they get altered too. I morphed one person face image into Jar Jar Binks...it's all good though...she got me back real good in her lab meeting talk the week later. I need to make sure that this particular picture file is destroyed from all computers before I leave this lab in a few months :laugh:

yaah said:
Get a biopsy.
"One biopsy of pancreas, coming right up!"
Wouldn't you at least ultrasound first? :p

6:15pm and dinner is done. I never eat as early as I do when on call - if I get to eat at all.

Tonight I get to chase sodium instead of potassium and mycoplasma instead of Group A Strep. Woohoo! :rolleyes: