Transfusion Medicine Fellowship advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beko90

Reaction score
Hello colleagues
I am seeking advice regarding a transfusion medicine fellowship, and I know it is a good problem to have!
I currently have offers from the following
NIH, Stanford, Mayo, WASHU, UMN, and pending interviews from UCSF, Versiti, and Emory
With the stressful timeline, I find it very difficult to choose.
Some of these programs have a very good name "Stanford", but the volume was not as high as expected.
others, I did not really enjoy my interview "Mayo", but from what I heard it is really good training.
NIH, and UCSF are two years, and I am not sure I want to do a 2-year program yet.
I was hoping that anyone here has some experience to share. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a wonderful situation - congratulations! Where do you want to practice after fellowship? I would recommend training near where you want to settle down - it helps with connections, networking, and practice style.

Reactions: 1 users
Words of wisdom by caffeingirl. CONNECTIONS! You will get more than adequate training for hospital practice of TM pretty much anyplace (assuming you put forth the effort) unless you are determined to burrow into some esoteric academic niche within the subspeciality.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I am IMG, so I don't really have a preference when it comes to the States, my plan is to work in academia, and I am really interested in apheresis, I have lived in the Midwest for a few years. I would say that I am looking more into the quality of training for that year, rather than where I will end up in the future job. Of course it is important as you mention, it is just not at the top of my scoring system for choosing the fellowship

I don't have experience in transfusion fellowships - hopefully somebody else can chime in here. If you're interested in academics, then going to the top program will be important - because "name" matters more as well as prestige of the faculty (they have the connections that can get you a position in the same or different academic department).

You will be welcomed with open arms throughout academia.

Hello colleagues
I am seeking advice regarding a transfusion medicine fellowship, and I know it is a good problem to have!
I currently have offers from the following
NIH, Stanford, Mayo, WASHU, UMN, and pending interviews from UCSF, Versiti, and Emory
With the stressful timeline, I find it very difficult to choose.
Some of these programs have a very good name "Stanford", but the volume was not as high as expected.
others, I did not really enjoy my interview "Mayo", but from what I heard it is really good training.
NIH, and UCSF are two years, and I am not sure I want to do a 2-year program yet.
I was hoping that anyone here has some experience to share. I really appreciate any help you can provide.
NIH is considered the most academically prestigious but it’s a two year fellowship as you mentioned. I don’t think they have CP residents so all the call and grunt work is on you. That extra year of “cellular therapy” fellowship at UCSF sounds like a waste of time as most other places integrate that content and it’s not board certified training. Probably just an extra year of call.

Among the top tier are Emory, WashU, and Mayo. Emory and WashU have huge sickle cell programs with big children's hospitals in large cities. I’m sure you are aware of the realities of living in Rochester, MN. Any one of these programs would prepare you for any kind of career you want in TM. Versiti and UMN are solid. Stanford is historically an AP-centric program and I don’t think they command the reputation some of the others do in TM.

Thanks a lot for your great help guys. I really appreciate your help