Clinical (not basic) research experience for MSTP applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirkah

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm 2 years out of college, currently in a post-bacc program, and planning on applying to med school next year. Lately I've been thinking more about MSTP or MD/PhD programs because my ultimate goal is to be a clinician-researcher at an academic institution (i.e. prof in a clinical department, like neurology).

So, here's my question: Is the PhD part of an MD/Phd appropriate for someone who wants to do (and has experience in) clinical research as opposed to basic science research? For example, I've been involved with clinical research in electrophysiology & schizophrenia, and motor physiology and parkinsons, among other topics. I 've been lucky in terms of mentoring, and have published two first authored papers in peer reviewed journals.

I was not, however, a science major as an undergrad. In addition to the reglar pre meds, I'm taking two semesters of neurobiology, and a semester of biochem. I know I don't hold a candle to all the science majors out there in terms of classroom exposure... I am not sure to what extent this harms me in the MSTP application process. How much advanced coursework do I have to take to "prove myself." Also, do these programs give you a chance to catch up? Or do they assume you've majored in biology, biochem, biophysics, chem, etc.

I guess my point is I have no experience in basic science research, and I was a non-science major. I do, however, have very good clinical research experience, along with a few advanced courses, and a strong desire to work in clinical research based on full time work in the field. I'm not sure what the scope of the research training in most MSTP programs is. Are any particularly strong for research in psychiatry or neurology? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give you much advice, but I am wondering if you could just go with a PhD. Much of the clinical work here is done by PhD's. You just need to be able to write good grants and get funded, after all. It would probably be far easier to get into a PhD program and you could get out into the field faster.

As far as your coursework, I think you have plenty of science with the add'l classes you mentioned. None of the programs I've read about mention requiring a science undergrad. You'll get lots of science classes with med school and for your grad courses you'll want to pick courses related to your project. So, taking a bunch of extra science now is prob not going to help you much. (I hope they aren't looking for lots of science classes as my background is engineering.)

sirkah said:
Hi guys,

I'm 2 years out of college, currently in a post-bacc program, and planning on applying to med school next year. Lately I've been thinking more about MSTP or MD/PhD programs because my ultimate goal is to be a clinician-researcher at an academic institution (i.e. prof in a clinical department, like neurology).

So, here's my question: Is the PhD part of an MD/Phd appropriate for someone who wants to do (and has experience in) clinical research as opposed to basic science research? For example, I've been involved with clinical research in electrophysiology & schizophrenia, and motor physiology and parkinsons, among other topics. I 've been lucky in terms of mentoring, and have published two first authored papers in peer reviewed journals.

I was not, however, a science major as an undergrad. In addition to the reglar pre meds, I'm taking two semesters of neurobiology, and a semester of biochem. I know I don't hold a candle to all the science majors out there in terms of classroom exposure... I am not sure to what extent this harms me in the MSTP application process. How much advanced coursework do I have to take to "prove myself." Also, do these programs give you a chance to catch up? Or do they assume you've majored in biology, biochem, biophysics, chem, etc.

I guess my point is I have no experience in basic science research, and I was a non-science major. I do, however, have very good clinical research experience, along with a few advanced courses, and a strong desire to work in clinical research based on full time work in the field. I'm not sure what the scope of the research training in most MSTP programs is. Are any particularly strong for research in psychiatry or neurology? Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree here?

Any advice is appreciated.

I thought that MD/PhD are for students who want to be both physicians and benchwork scientists. Since you don't have that experience and you are strongly interested in clinical research(?), I think you might consider either going just MD or MD/MS. MD/PhD programs are very very competitive and I believe that many students who are accepted have lots of basic science research and since that is seems to be the rule, it might put you at a disadvantage. Please do not hold on to my comments, these are just what I think. You might want to ask physicians you are shadowing and your science profs. With a masters in research, I think you will be equiped to do research in a clinical setting. I know that with your MD, you can do research so you might not need a PhD to do research, unless if you think you will commit >70% of your time to research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most MD/PhD programs do not automatically exclude non-science majors, so don't drop out of the game based on that score. With your post-bac pursuits in neurobio and your publications, I think you've proven your interest in medicine and inclincation towards academia which is more important than saying you majored in biochem. I would recommend that you get involved with a biomedical research project (for a few months) to add the basic science dimension to your profile. Does your post-bacc program have a summer break? The NIH offers summer research opportunities for people at all levels; if you do good work and get a strong recommendation from your PI, then I think you will present a very strong application. - Best of luck

J. Peterman said:
Most MD/PhD programs do not automatically exclude non-science majors, so don't drop out of the game based on that score. With your post-bac pursuits in neurobio and your publications, I think you've proven your interest in medicine and inclincation towards academia which is more important than saying you majored in biochem. I would recommend that you get involved with a biomedical research project (for a few months) to add the basic science dimension to your profile. Does your post-bacc program have a summer break? The NIH offers summer research opportunities for people at all levels; if you do good work and get a strong recommendation from your PI, then I think you will present a very strong application. - Best of luck
Agreed - consider applying. You may find a very good match. My MSTP has students in epidemiology and neuroscience doing more clinically oriented research. We're also getting more interest in biomedical engineering.

I do agree, though, you might consider a master's as another option, but just keep in mind that not every MSTP student is doing benchtop research. If you apply and interview, you'll get a feel for whether or not the program is a good match for what you want to do (and don't force yourself to go to a place that will not make you happy - it's your career :) )