clinical pharmacy jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're going to want 600,000 next year...fyi. The problem is you have non-health professionals running the show.

Thats why pharmacy/econ hybrid positions are where it's at. .. and by that I mean anyone who can mix financial and QI skills with pharmacy knowledge.
 
Last edited:
They're going to want 600,000 next year...fyi. The problem is you have non-health professionals running the show.

what's wrong with setting the bar higher? i mean, i guess they can fire you if you don't meet the metric, but at this point in the game it's not about pharmacy/pharmacists anymore. it's executive talent and all the foibles and follies that go along with hiring, retaining, and setting goals with your middle/upper management team from the c-suite level.
 
what's wrong with setting the bar higher? i mean, i guess they can fire you if you don't meet the metric, but at this point in the game it's not about pharmacy/pharmacists anymore. it's executive talent and all the foibles and follies that go along with hiring, retaining, and setting goals with your middle/upper management team from the c-suite level.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. First of all , pulling $100k out of thin air is not exactly hard to do in a large MCO. So 600k vs 500k isnt really relevant.

We'll always need people to monitor dispensing and verify clinical safety and efficacy. But the next generation of 'unicorns' and pharmacy thought leaders are , from my perspective, going to be the people who can predict and shape the financial/outcomes/quality-cost-effectiveness piece.

Most healthcare admins that i've encountered are desperate for pharmacists to provide business game-plan and cost/quality improvement.

I've changed my thinking a bit on PPACA vs when it was first passed. Originally as a naive pre-pharm, I thought it would double rx volume and dispensing positions. Now, wiser, it's obvious to me that while it will mandate efficiency that will result in dispensing cuts, it is GREATLY expanding the roles for pharmacists in quality/cost improvement. I would even go so far as to say that the pharmacy side of pharmacoeconomics will absolutely be the next 'hot' specialty field. But what do I know.. I was recruited (unsolicited) by a payor based on my econ/business background.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like when innovative business models provide enhanced cost effectiveness!

My friend at Kaiser helped the org retain $500,000 last year. .. never dispensed a single prescription .. yet she probably added more value than a full time dispensing rph (obviously ignoring the fact that KP pays itself)

Why do you think clinical pharmacy is expanding? Because it's not economically feasible to just lick and stick anymore, when the quality of pharmaceutical care will be affecting reimbursement schemes.

ACO and PPACA = to a certain degree, the more clinical pharmacists you hire, the better your CMS reimbursement gets.
You need a balance, though. Dispensing pharmacists need to be on the front lines trying to prevent grave, undue harm, ie lawsuits.
 
You need a balance, though. Dispensing pharmacists need to be on the front lines trying to prevent grave, undue harm, ie lawsuits.

Yes. There will be a strong need for them, always, until computers replace MD's and DO's and all of us of course.

I think dispensing is still a valuable and worthwhile role.. and it will be in the future too, especially as therapeutics get more complex and the room for error (ie: never events) becomes smaller and smaller .. dispensing pharmacists will have a more critical role. It's just that I think its growth is going to taper down significantly in many places. Ie: good dispensing pharmacists will have jobs, but it won't exactly be the next 'big' thing, like it was in the late 90s early 2000s.... dispensing jobs will fill up completely in the next 10 years, and while they'll do a great job on the front lines .. newbies will have to take other options into consideration, especially if they are looking for a career that reimburses them for their talents.
 
Last edited:
Yes. There will be a strong need for them, always, until computers replace MD's and DO's and all of us of course.

I think dispensing is still a valuable and worthwhile role.. and it will be in the future too, especially as therapeutics get more complex and the room for error (ie: never events) becomes smaller and smaller .. dispensing pharmacists will have a more critical role. It's just that I think its growth is going to taper down significantly in many places. Ie: good dispensing pharmacists will have jobs, but it won't exactly be the next 'big' thing, like it was in the late 90s early 2000s.
I think healthcare is getting so twisted from financial pressure that hybrid pharmacy positions will be the only surviving species once this round of evolutionary pressure ends. I just don't see it any other way...

Edited to add: I think students today need to be highly absorbent sponges in order to prepare for their amorphous existence as pharmacists of the future.
 
I think healthcare is getting so twisted from financial pressure that hybrid pharmacy positions will be the only surviving species once this round of evolutionary pressure ends. I just don't see it any other way...

I agree. I would throw it out there that perhaps 80% of 'dispensing-only' positions will be gone. Not to say these people will be fired .. just that the nature of the value that pharmacy provides has changed from being drug dealers to being pharmaceutical care managers (even if you're just talking about adjusting medications, or counseling to improve HCAHP scores, or in retail, maybe implementing amb care style interventions at the point of service)
 
Not just that, when you have a glut of graduates (both new grads + PGY1's spilling into the employment seeking mix), hospitals can/do hire the best of the best to fill "dispensing positions" as they exist on paper, but can remake the roll as a critical mass of clinically-minded pharmacists fill the ranks.
 
Not just that, when you have a glut of graduates (both new grads + PGY1's spilling into the employment seeking mix), hospitals can/do hire the best of the best to fill "dispensing positions" as they exist on paper, but can remake the roll as a critical mass of clinically-minded pharmacists fill the ranks.
Not here... they operate on the buddy system. C'est la vie!