Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Clinical Research or Volunteerting

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Mutterkuchen, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I am just curious as to what you would do if given the choice. I have the opportunity to work on a clinical research project where the opportunity for publication is high at a top 5 institution. I am also scheduled to start volunteering at a children's hospital with lots of patient contact. I only have time to do one.

As it stands now, I have plenty of basic science research experience, but little-to-no volunteer experience. Would you do the clinical research or pure volunteering? I am just summoning opinions.

2. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would do the volunteering since you have research experience.

On the other hand, it depends what year are you in. A publication would be excellent and you can always volunteer later.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    dr. foxy you're giving conflicting advice there :)

JBJ, is there no way you can do both? perhaps you don't have to volunteer in the hospital setting quite yet. you could do other volunteer work first.

4. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

I am in my upper twenties and will be applying for next year (2003). Right now I am leaning toward the research as it involves a clinic for the underserved. It might be that it will satisfy both of my pre-med interests. I appreciate your opinions, though.

5. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

what seems more interesting and potentially more fulfilling to you? whichever it is, that's what you should do.