Clinical Research or Volunteerting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mutterkuchen

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what you would do if given the choice. I have the opportunity to work on a clinical research project where the opportunity for publication is high at a top 5 institution. I am also scheduled to start volunteering at a children's hospital with lots of patient contact. I only have time to do one.

As it stands now, I have plenty of basic science research experience, but little-to-no volunteer experience. Would you do the clinical research or pure volunteering? I am just summoning opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would do the volunteering since you have research experience.

On the other hand, it depends what year are you in. A publication would be excellent and you can always volunteer later.

dr. foxy you're giving conflicting advice there :)

JBJ, is there no way you can do both? perhaps you don't have to volunteer in the hospital setting quite yet. you could do other volunteer work first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in my upper twenties and will be applying for next year (2003). Right now I am leaning toward the research as it involves a clinic for the underserved. It might be that it will satisfy both of my pre-med interests. I appreciate your opinions, though.

what seems more interesting and potentially more fulfilling to you? whichever it is, that's what you should do.