Clinical Research (Publish)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I will be doing clinical research with a doc this semester. I am a premed and the doc has agreed to give me a branch of her project for me to work on with patients. I am thinking it will be some sort of a prospective study. My question is: how should or can I ask her to get published? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My primary advice is not to worry about publishing but instead concentrate on the research. If you do good work (and find something relevant) and your doc/advisor is a decent fellow, then they'll acknowledge your work.

If you are uncertain about your advisor's recognition of your work or really feel compelled, I recommend being straightforward and letting her know that your goal is to get a publication out of the research you do. Ask to discuss a plan or research goal that would lead to your name going on a publication. Be sure to specify your reasons (ie applying to med school and would seriously help your app). Be prepared to put in a lot of extra time, though.

moto_za said:
Hi guys,

I will be doing clinical research with a doc this semester. I am a premed and the doc has agreed to give me a branch of her project for me to work on with patients. I am thinking it will be some sort of a prospective study. My question is: how should or can I ask her to get published? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
You should be able to get some sort of publication out of this experience. Find a local conference that is held near the end of your time in the lab. Most formal medical research programs for ugrads have an end-of-semester meeting where you display and present the work you completed. If you're doing this on your own, many hospitals also hold poster conferences every six or so months for students, residents, and fellows. Lastly, universities often have student research days, where kids can present their work to their classmates. Any of these are great places for a student (even a ugrad) to display their work. Find one and tell your supervisor that you want to be able to present something (podium presentation, poster, nothing huge) at that conference. The PI gets a project completed and a motivated student gets an instant AMCAS EC.