Clinical Research - recommended books for beginners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EuanF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an incoming M1 with limited hardcore clinical research (i.e. no publications), I really appreciate all the great advice found on here in regards to what to expect doing clinical research in med school. There are a few areas of interest I'd love to explore at my school with this type of research, and I'd like to expand upon my very limited prior experience (mostly with enrolling) so that I can be a more effective help with my limited time.

I'd like to get a better handle on the basic elements - like protocol writing (in a structured, official sense), types of statistics employed, most common databases and programs used, etc. - and was wondering if anyone had any recommended textbooks or "guidebooks"/suggested PDFs for folks like me to prepare with? Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Great question, interested in this as well.

As an incoming M1 with limited hardcore clinical research (i.e. no publications), I really appreciate all the great advice found on here in regards to what to expect doing clinical research in med school. There are a few areas of interest I'd love to explore at my school with this type of research, and I'd like to expand upon my very limited prior experience (mostly with enrolling) so that I can be a more effective help with my limited time.

I'd like to get a better handle on the basic elements - like protocol writing (in a structured, official sense), types of statistics employed, most common databases and programs used, etc. - and was wondering if anyone had any recommended textbooks or "guidebooks"/suggested PDFs for folks like me to prepare with? Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Honestly, the best way to learn is to get involved in a project and figure everything out as you go. Most IRBs will give you pretty well-defined templates for things like the protocol and consent forms.

Reactions: 1 user