clinical research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmachu27

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How necessary is clinical research if you are doing undergraduate research? I will have about 1.5 years when I apply and was looking to make up for this with clinical research.

Not only this, but how would you go on to obtain a clinical research position?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had the answer to your question! I have only 1 year or research(definitely on the low side) but have done two summers of clinical research at the Cleveland Clinic. Whether or not this is significant or will make up for my lack of other research is up in the air i suppose. Sorry I couldn't be more help!

It is not necessary to have clinical research experience in order to apply to med school. You could also do bench (basic science) research, or nonscience research (like psych, econ, linguistics, engineering, etc).

About 60% of applicants do list research. The duration of the experience varies from a summer's worth to 4+ years. About a year is average for most schools, but the highly-selective research giants tend to accept people with 2+ years.

To find a clinical research position, ask a physician you shadow or volunteer with if they are aware of any current projects. Or call a local hospital and ask to speak the the Research Coordinator (if there is one).

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was to gain a position in a psychology lab, would that make up for my 1+ year of biology research. With this I would have about 2.5 years of research (bio+psych). Do you think this would be a good suggestion if I was to apply to a research giant (Stanford, NU, UofC)? My other stats are comparable to those of each school's most recent matriculating class...

It would depend entirely on what your role would be.

The problem with getting involved with clinical (human) psych research at this point, it that you will probably be a data gatherer or interviewing patients for trial inclusion or running trials outlined by someone else. You will not have formed the hypothesis, or written for a grant for funding. It will not be a project you designed. You will not need to know the science behind the study to do the work you'd be allowed to do. It will qualify as a research experience, but you will be an aide. Chances are low that you'd get your name on a paper. You'd probably be far better off sticking with the lab you're in, asking for your own project, and trying to do something on your own with a PI who already knows and trusts you. Top schools are looking for substantive research involvement, not aide-type involvement, IMO.

Now that said, there are a lot of types of research that might be done in a psych lab. Maybe you can find a PI involved in a project that has more potential than what I've outlined. You might be better off with rats-in-a-maze-type work where you can make suggestions, ask if you can try something on your own, even design a new project once the PI gets to know you. Maybe a year is too little time to expect that to happen. But possibly it can work if the PI knows your goals ahead of time and is willing to work with you.