WAMC? 1700 Volunteer hours 7000 Clinical hours <200 Research Hours 3.85 cGPA 3.8 sGPA 523 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

survisor

Reaction score
;;;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is possible Rush may think you are unlikely to choose them, particularly with Northwestern and Pritzker nearby as well as similar options out-of-state. I do not suggest applying EA/ED unless you have preemptively met with the school to go over your app and they give the go-ahead to apply ED.

Do you speak Spanish?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is possible Rush may think you are unlikely to choose them, particularly with Northwestern and Pritzker nearby as well as similar options out-of-state. I do not suggest applying EA/ED unless you have preemptively met with the school to go over your app and they give the go-ahead to apply ED.

Do you speak Spanish?
I do speak Spanish! I am fluent.

You have a near-flawless application and should receive several interviews. I recommended these:

Reach
Harvard Medical School
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania (Perelman)
Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons
Duke University School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine
Weill Cornell Medicine
New York University Grossman School of Medicine
Yale School of Medicine
Mayo Clinic School of Medicine

Target
Northwestern University The Feinberg School of Medicine
University of Chicago Division of the Biological Sciences The Pritzker School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
University of Virginia School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University

Baseline
University of Illinois College of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
Loyola University Chicago (Stritch)
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (Chicago)
Southern Illinois University--Springfield
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Iowa Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine
USF Health Morsani College of Medicine
Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
University of Arizona--Phoenix
Georgetown University School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine

Reactions: 1 user
I do speak Spanish! I am fluent.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Illinois
Loyola
Harvard
Dartmouth
UMass
Boston University
Brown
Yale
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Mayo (Arizona)

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth applying Early Assurance to Rush with my stats?
Not in your situation. Go for all your regional schools, but you should do networking with LMSA chapters. Yes, apply to Pritzker, especially if global health interests you.

Read

Because of my low research hours I'm not really sure what a balanced list would look like for me.
Because of your other hours and ECs, you have a shot at the T20, including Pritzker. It just isn't as strong of a chance if you would have had research. Since you have more than enough hours for clinical and volunteering, can you pivot and get some hours of research in before you apply in end of May? Getting some hours in and then showing them as a continued, projected hours might be convincing enough for research schools.
should I take another year to do research and make myself more competitive?
You have a competitive app as is, with one weakness. I think you would get an A with this current app, but you would be more competitive for t20s with the additional research.
Is it worth applying Early Assurance to Rush with my stats?
No, unless you have met with them and are okay with reapplying next cycle given that if you get rejected from ED it would be too late in the cycle to competitively apply to other schools.
In your Rush secondary, I would emphasize your connection to Chicago and your motivations to stay while pairing it with your reasons for Rush's program to give you the best shot at convincing them you would chose them despite your stats.

Even though your research hours are low compared to other aspects of your application, I encourage you to accept it as a growth area at any school that you would attend. You had minimal experience before, and I'm sure if you find a very strong project with a fantastic mentor, you can pick up doing research or scholarly studies pretty easily. You won't have bad habits or perceptions about research that would need to be corrected. :)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Northwestern
U Chicago
U Illinois
Loyola
Harvard
Dartmouth
UMass
Boston University
Brown
Yale
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Emory
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
USC Keck
Stanford
Mayo (Arizona)
Wow! This list looks very different than the one I came up with after lurking this forum... I had thought that most of these schools would be out of reach for me, even with my MCAT. Thank you!

Even though your research hours are low compared to other aspects of your application, I encourage you to accept it as a growth area at any school that you would attend. You had minimal experience before, and I'm sure if you find a very strong project with a fantastic mentor, you can pick up doing research or scholarly studies pretty easily. You won't have bad habits or perceptions about research that would need to be corrected. :)
Absolutely. Would you suggest picking up some research hours (maybe as a part-time research assistant) before I apply in May or do you think I am good to go as is? Thank you for your help! :)

Absolutely. Would you suggest picking up some research hours (maybe as a part-time research assistant) before I apply in May or do you think I am good to go as is? Thank you for your help! :)
I wouldn't force you to have research. Doing research well as a student takes focus. Some won't want to hire you knowing you will disappear after a few months if you got accepted.