MD Clinical Rotation Order w/Ob/Gyn Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are tons of posts on the order in which to do clinical rotations, but I wasn't able to find any for someone thinking mostly about going into Ob/Gyn with FM or IM as a back up. We have blocks at my school, so Psych, IM and Ob have to be taken together, and then Surg, Fam and Peds. I'm thinking:
1) Psych (or IM)
2) IM (or Psych)
3) Ob
Break
4) Peds (or Fam)
5) Surgery
6) Fam (or Peds)

We get to submit a first preference and a second (in parentheses) with no guarantee, and like many schools, it's harder to high pass/honor with every block. I'm worried having surgery so late will make it harder to honor/high pass, and I know Ob looks at that. However, having it fourth may put me with those who are super into Surgery and have it harder to stand out. Plus our fourth block is (apparently) when you apply for aways, so I've heard it's important to have already completed what you think you'll be interested in, have a lighter one so you have time to apply, and have LORs ready.

I can also switch blocks entirely and have Surgery, Peds, Fam - Break - Ob, IM, Psych. However, everyone wants psych last so I may end up with IM and Psych switched.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Clerkship order is a little overrated. Just try to not do OB your 1st rotation, maybe after surgery to get used to the OR and having IM behind you always helps. I matched OB after not having done any of the things I recommended above, but would do them all having gone through it.

Reactions: 1 user
Clerkship order is a little overrated. Just try to not do OB your 1st rotation, maybe after surgery to get used to the OR and having IM behind you always helps. I matched OB after not having done any of the things I recommended above, but would do them all having gone through it.
Since we have blocks, I can't do both without making Ob my 5th rotation - which do you think would be more helpful? Surgery or IM before?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it probably won't matter, but if you want, I'd go with surgery before. IM helps everything, but not Ob/gyn all that much in my opinion. That way, the surgeons will also have really low expectations for you as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Would this work better then?
1) Surgery (or FM)
2) Family (Surg)
3) Peds
Break
4)Ob
5)IM (or Psych)
6)Psych (or IM)

Reactions: 1 user