Clinical Rotations/Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

becool5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I am sure this was asked many times before, but couldn't find information on this. I see that at some schools, rotations are very far away. How do students deal this? I know this varies by schools, but do they usually provide some form of housing? Or do students usually go in on a hotel together or something like that? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,
I am sure this was asked many times before, but couldn't find information on this. I see that at some schools, rotations are very far away. How do students deal this? I know this varies by schools, but do they usually provide some form of housing? Or do students usually go in on a hotel together or something like that? Thanks!

So much of that depends on the site where you are going. Some of them have housing available that may be free, cheap or expensive. Some of them have free or reduced meals available. Sometimes it's in the hospital; sometimes it's a house or apartment. Our school also has apartments leased in some areas that you rotate through. The school pays the rent but you might pay them $300 for the month, for example.

My two current roommates and I all plan on doing rotations at the same spot next year. We are in different groups, so we won't be doing the same rotation, but will all be at the same hospital. So, we are planning on renting a house together, just like we do now. Each of us will be doing a rotation or two during the year away from there, but I'm planning on doing mine at some places that have free housing available for students.

So much of that depends on the site where you are going. Some of them have housing available that may be free, cheap or expensive. Some of them have free or reduced meals available. Sometimes it's in the hospital; sometimes it's a house or apartment. Our school also has apartments leased in some areas that you rotate through. The school pays the rent but you might pay them $300 for the month, for example.

My two current roommates and I all plan on doing rotations at the same spot next year. We are in different groups, so we won't be doing the same rotation, but will all be at the same hospital. So, we are planning on renting a house together, just like we do now. Each of us will be doing a rotation or two during the year away from there, but I'm planning on doing mine at some places that have free housing available for students.

Hey SCPOD where does most of the class do rotations? Is there a main hospital or couple of big hospital where the majority of the class does their rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the class will stay in Florida. Those who go to Florida East (in Orlando) or Suncoast (in St. Pete) will stay there for every rotation. The only problem with that is that when you get one of those spots you are taken out of your rotation group. You no longer get to pick your month of vacation, etc. But those spots are polular and there is usually a lottery for them. A bunch will do them at various hospitals in the area (Like Manatee Memorial in Bradenton, or Northside and St.Pete General in St. Pete) because they don't all have the cores. For instance, Manatee doesn't offer Ob/gyn and St.Pete general doesn't offer psych. So... you might end up at a couple of local places.

Some people want to go to other parts of Florida. Several will go to Sacred heart in Pennsacola, but they don't offer psyc there right now. The school is trying to get psyc in place locally, though, so those student won't have to come back to Bradenton to do it-- Pennsacola is a good ways away.

Occasionally there will be conflicts in rotations like IM too because you do 3 mos. of it in 3rd year. There are 12 total IM spots at St. Pete General for IM. Since there are three IM months, then 3 groups will overlap IM slots. Each group can only have 4 members per month doing IM at St. Pete. If more than 12 people want to go there, then they might have to do one IM month somewhere else.

Did I just confuse you with all that?

There are people who will want to go to the Miami area or other parts of Florida and they can be accomodated in most rotations, but not necessarily all of them-- just like the people who stay in the Bradenton area. The people who want to go up north have lots of choices, but they have to wait until Erie picks first, so you might not get your first choice. Still, you are competing only with your corresponding group from Erie, so you still might have some prime choices-- they have tons of spots all over the place.

None of it really matters to me because I'm planning on going to Mississippi :)

Most of the class will stay in Florida. Those who go to Florida East (in Orlando) or Suncoast (in St. Pete) will stay there for every rotation. The only problem with that is that when you get one of those spots you are taken out of your rotation group. You no longer get to pick your month of vacation, etc. But those spots are polular and there is usually a lottery for them. A bunch will do them at various hospitals in the area (Like Manatee Memorial in Bradenton, or Northside and St.Pete General in St. Pete) because they don't all have the cores. For instance, Manatee doesn't offer Ob/gyn and St.Pete general doesn't offer psych. So... you might end up at a couple of local places.

Some people want to go to other parts of Florida. Several will go to Sacred heart in Pennsacola, but they don't offer psyc there right now. The school is trying to get psyc in place locally, though, so those student won't have to come back to Bradenton to do it-- Pennsacola is a good ways away.

Occasionally there will be conflicts in rotations like IM too because you do 3 mos. of it in 3rd year. There are 12 total IM spots at St. Pete General for IM. Since there are three IM months, then 3 groups will overlap IM slots. Each group can only have 4 members per month doing IM at St. Pete. If more than 12 people want to go there, then they might have to do one IM month somewhere else.

Did I just confuse you with all that?

There are people who will want to go to the Miami area or other parts of Florida and they can be accomodated in most rotations, but not necessarily all of them-- just like the people who stay in the Bradenton area. The people who want to go up north have lots of choices, but they have to wait until Erie picks first, so you might not get your first choice. Still, you are competing only with your corresponding group from Erie, so you still might have some prime choices-- they have tons of spots all over the place.

None of it really matters to me because I'm planning on going to Mississippi :)

Thanks SCPOD! Its good to know that you can do all of your rotations in one place if you wanted! (That's what I'm looking for)