Clinical vignettes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion1978

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start medical school and am wondering how to keep myself motivated while studying/memorizing all this detail. One idea I had was to look for cases of different diseases that correlated with the particular topic that I am studying. I know that there are plenty of clinical vignette books for Step One, but I am looking compilations of cases that might help stick the facts in while I'm studying. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where you're matriculating, but I'll tell you what happens here in Cincinnati. Throughout the year, after we've learned different material in Physiology, Gross, Biochem, etc., the course directors have clinicians come in and give "clincial correlation" lectures. For example, we've been virtually beaten to death by diabetes in Biochem. Also, as part of Gross and Brain & Behavior, we are given actual clinical cases that pertain to what we're studying and have to "play doctor" and figure out what's going on in the case.

So if I were you, I'd wait to see how the curriculum shapes up. There may just be some vigniettes (sp?) built in.

I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised by the amount of clinical material you will learn indirectly through your studies of the basic sciences. All of the review books, and most medical text books, will not just discuss a pathway or anatomical structure, but will follow it up with how this is a significant part of medical diagnosis and treatment. I agree with UCMonkey, most schools will have clinicians come in after you have learned material and lecture about how it is applied in a clinical setting. Don't freak out... schools are there to help you do well on boards, they don't look very good unless their students perform well, so have no fear, you will have more than enough material to choke on, some will be interesting, some will just plain be on the exam so you have to know it. Good luck next year!