Clinical Volunteer Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac1246

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I will be applying to medical school in a few years, and am wondering about clinical volunteer experience. How would you go about getting in touch with the hospitals you want to volunteer at? Would you go about it differently if you had a specific area of interest, neurology for example. What are some of the typical experiences people have, what exactly do you do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks! jm.

Members don't see this ad.

I think as far as volunteering goes, all you have to do is get in contact with the Volunteer Coordinator at the hospital(s) you are interested in. Once you complete the application and such, they should talk to you about what areas they have available, and you can choose from there.

I'm not sure about those on this forum, but my experience (as well as those of my friends) was rather dry--not a whole lot of patient interaction or exposure to clinical medicine, but then again what can you expect (we were/are pre-med). However, there are some volunteer positions out there that are good clinically and would be a worthwhile experience if you can find them. ANYWAY, just get in contact with the volunteer coordinator at your preferred hospital and they should give you all the information you need. Good luck to you! :luck:

For hospitals you can usually find the volunteer coordinator's contact info via the website. If you go to volunteermatch.org you can search out medical-related volunteer positions in your area; I have found these to often be more rewarded than what you might do as a hospital volunteer, although that can be fun too. Things you can do range from hospital volunteering, volunteering at various clinics including free clinics (which you can almost always do more at), volunteering with Hospice to volunteering in wig shops in cancer wards of hospitals, or reading to sick kids in Childrens Hospitals. Search out cool things that you won't dread doing is my best advice. :)