clinical volunteer, mostly clerical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CeruleanB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer at a clinic, but it is mostly clerical work. I don't (yet) get to do anything like take histories, but I interact heavily with patients concerning scheduling appointments, speaking to the doctors, routing all calls, and being the first point of contact for every patient that walks in the door.

The real question is, would I be better off volunteering in a more "clinical" setting, like a hospital, when I will probably be doing less work?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like great volunteer experience, and I wouldn't advise dropping it, but it might be a good idea to try to get some hospital experience in addition. Some schools seem to see hospital volunteering as its own little box to be checked off, separate from other clinical experiences.

It sounds like great volunteer experience, and I wouldn't advise dropping it, but it might be a good idea to try to get some hospital experience in addition. Some schools seem to see hospital volunteering as its own little box to be checked off, separate from other clinical experiences.

I was thinking the same, that hospital volunteering was almost separate from other clinical volunteering. Which makes no sense because I know the volunteers at the only local hospital, and most of the time they sit and do homework or change beds.

Work in a hospital as well would probably be helpful. I think either working in one or volunteering a bit would be fine. Your work is still clinical in nature if you're interacting w/ pts. See if someone in the clinical/nursing dept will let you come back and help some time. I frequently tell our registration, scheduling, and financial people that are prehealth to come in on a day they're not needed so I can take them back to see pts w/ me. Usually, I start them on helping w/ vitals on H&Ps by the end of their first shift w/ me. I've also seen other clinical staff begin to allow unlicensed individuals to come back and help under their supervision. I think I may still be the only one in our clinic who does it regularly, but the others are happy to take someone on if they are asked. My suggestion would be to find a nurse or tech who seems approachable and if you can come back and observe sometime. (Don't say "help" at this point, as that may set of alarms for them. Keep in mind that some people are used to doing this regularly at work as preceptors -- e.g., day shift floor nurses, ED techs, etc. -- while some may not be, so taking this into account may be helpful as well.)