clinical vs. research oriented programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsythe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

i was wondering if some of the people who went through the interview process this year (or anyone else in the know) would be willing to share their accumulated wisdom about which residency programs seem to be more research oriented, and which ones are more clinically oriented. (ie, which programs require serious research to get in and prepare you for academic medicine, versus which programs prepare you for private practice?)

Members don't see this ad.

forsythe said:
hey,

i was wondering if some of the people who went through the interview process this year (or anyone else in the know) would be willing to share their accumulated wisdom about which residency programs seem to be more research oriented, and which ones are more clinically oriented. (ie, which programs require serious research to get in and prepare you for academic medicine, versus which programs prepare you for private practice?)

I think the one that most suprised me was Cleveland Clinic. They really want to train pure clinicians. I remember my interview with the PD there. He asked me about my research, then said something along the lines of, "Yeah, research is fine, just not what we really care about here. If you're interested in that stuff, this isn't the place for you." :confused: Not the picture I had in mind of CCF, for sure!

Adawaal said:
I think the one that most suprised me was Cleveland Clinic. They really want to train pure clinicians. I remember my interview with the PD there. He asked me about my research, then said something along the lines of, "Yeah, research is fine, just not what we really care about here. If you're interested in that stuff, this isn't the place for you." :confused: Not the picture I had in mind of CCF, for sure!
while Johns Hopkins would like people to engage in research, and in fact are very keen on the "physician scientist" role (Which Ted DeWeese is an example of) they dont look for basic scientists only by any stretch. And no matter how many PhD's, publications in cell, nature etc, and no matter how many labs you single handedly run, any inkling that you don't really have a very VERY serious interest in the clinical care of patients, will get you dropped off the list. To those who want to do translational stuff, they want PHYSICIAN-scientists, not physician-SCIENTISTS.