Clinical work as a catalyst for research interests in clinical Ph.D SOP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariagirlno1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am beginning to write my essays for both Psy.D programs and clinical Ph.D programs. I find myself wanting to use anecdotes from my very clinical internship that turned into a job to illustrate my research interests. Is this OK? I have heard that emphasizing clinical work is sometimes frowned upon...

Besides the fact that I'm most excited about the work I've done in this clinical setting, my research experience (helping with another student's honors thesis and then carrying out my own original research for my honor's thesis) has not been that substantial (plus, these projects do not reflect my research interests, as is probably the case in many small undergrad institutions). I will include the process of writing my thesis as a way to say that I'm interested in the PROCESS of doing research.

What do you think?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think being able to make observations about what you are learning in the job and how they are shaping your thinking about research interests is a good idea--though without knowing more about the actual job I am only speculating. For any program that is balanced on practice/research, there is a clear benefit to giving evidence that you already have both adequate clinical skills to be hired and some real-world knowledge of the field. You just need to find a way to clearly demonstrate how what you are doing/seeing in the field can be approached as a research question and with a methodology.

without knowing more about the actual job I am only speculating. For any program that is balanced on practice/research, there is a clear benefit to giving evidence that you already have both adequate clinical skills to be hired and some real-world knowledge of the field. You just need to find a way to clearly demonstrate how what you are doing/seeing in the field can be approached as a research question and with a methodology.

The job is in a partial hospitalization program for children. Since I think it's better to show than tell, I'm thinking of including an anecdote centering on how many children seem to show evidence of internalizing disorders as well as the clearly visible externalizing disorder that they were diagnosed with. This is a way to tie my experience to the research interests of one of the faculty (on comorbidity in children). Then, I'll discuss my feelings on the issue (many articles about it, still not being addressed at least in the setting I was in) and how awareness and knowledge could inform treatment of these children--I may include an idea for a study (?).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that is an excellent way to present both your experience and your research interests and could go a long way towards differentiating you from a standard applicant who has only lab/campus experience.

I agree with the above, I think it could look very good. Now if you are applying to research-intensive programs and spend the whole personal statement gushing about how much you loved your clinical experience and can't wait to open your own practice and never think about research again that would be another matter. However, talking about how clinical experience has informed your research goals seems perfectly reasonable, especially at balanced programs (which I assume is where you are applying if you are also applying to some PsyDs).

Remember, clinical observation was how Aaron Beck got started on his research program. I'd say he's had pretty good success with it;)

Thank you so much! If anyone would be willing to read a draft of my personal statement (when it gets a little more polished :laugh:) I'd be very grateful!