Clinical Yr/New Grad Book Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anonymous.vet.life

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I’m looking to start building a solid collection of veterinary medicine books/resources to use during clinical year and into new grad life, and I’d love to hear what’s been most useful for others. I’d also love any NAVLE book/resource recommendations!

I’m open to pretty much anything — textbooks, quick-reference guides, handbooks, apps, websites, clinical resources, etc. I’m especially interested in resources that you found yourself returning to regularly, even years into practice. If possible, I’d also love to hear why you liked a resource or what made it especially helpful.

My main interests are small animal, exotics, emergency, GP, surgery, and anesthesia.

Thanks in advance!
 
I'll second that EClinPath is very useful.

On the clinic floor, I liked having the Plumb's app (though I don't currently have it) - I think for students it's like $20 a year and it's worth it, IMO. The only reason I don't still have it is that I can access Plumb's for free through my institution if I need it, but when you're a student and not as familiar with the usual doses for things, it's a life saver.

I also have an app called VetPocket that I use primarily for fluid rate calculations and RER calculations, but it's capable of doing a lot more than what I use it for. I think it's $5 bucks a month or something. It has some reference materials (idk how good they are, I've never used that section of the app) and calculators for energy requirements, unit conversions, blood gas, transfusions, CRIs, DKA protocols, Na corrections, etc. It also has an exotics calculator section that I honestly just discovered bc I've never scrolled down that far in the app before lol. It's probably one of my most-used apps when I'm on clinics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4 years out-mixed gp
Post grad 3 books i still crack open-fossum sx, Blackwell 5 min consult, slatters optho (cause i suck at eyes)
I use plumbs daily

5 Min consult is great for a quick refresher of info
Sx because I live in the middle of nowhere so alot of times its me and the book and that's it.
Optho because I suck at eyes/eye tx for anything out of the norm

I never use VIN since my employer doesnt pay for it

I can use the internet to use reliable sources to help me with anything else. Vet specific FB groups can be helpful. Or phone a friend