Clinicals at UNECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redwings54

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I was wondering how involved med students are in the clinicals during third and fourth year. There is a discussion about this in the clinical rotations thread and it seems that most people do very little hands on work, maybe a few venipunctures and sometimes starting an IV. Then again, if you have read Malo's blog site, he is a 4th year from CCOM and has done everything from deliveries, c-sections, sutures both superficial and sub-q, IV, and much more that I cant remember. I was just wondering how much students, specifically from UNECOM, but also from other schools, are involved hands on in medical procedures during your clinical years? Thanks in advance.
-Redwings

Members don't see this ad.

I think that would depend a lot on you, redwings. I remember in paramedic school going through clinicals, and people with the same preceptors would have totally different experiences... those who weren't comfortable with themselves, didn't ask or try, didn't get to do much. Those who jumped in with both feet got to do a LOT.

I imagine it's similar in years 3 and 4.

Now on the other hand, I know someone who goes to UNE and is doing her rotations now. She has done TONS (and in her words about her ob/gyn rotation: "if I never see another mucous-y cervix in my life, it'll be too soon"), including sutures, deliveries, pelvics, etc. It helps that she's doing rotations in a place where she knows people I imagine. But she's also not afraid to say "HEY! I WANT TO DO AND LEARN SOMETHING HERE!" So she gets to do a lot. I think it's all up to you.

ShyRem said:
I think that would depend a lot on you, redwings. I remember in paramedic school going through clinicals, and people with the same preceptors would have totally different experiences... those who weren't comfortable with themselves, didn't ask or try, didn't get to do much. Those who jumped in with both feet got to do a LOT.

I imagine it's similar in years 3 and 4.

Now on the other hand, I know someone who goes to UNE and is doing her rotations now. She has done TONS (and in her words about her ob/gyn rotation: "if I never see another mucous-y cervix in my life, it'll be too soon"), including sutures, deliveries, pelvics, etc. It helps that she's doing rotations in a place where she knows people I imagine. But she's also not afraid to say "HEY! I WANT TO DO AND LEARN SOMETHING HERE!" So she gets to do a lot. I think it's all up to you.

ShyRem's thoughts match my experience. If you talk to people, you can usually get more experience in whatever you want. For example, if you want to learn to do IV's, you can tell folks at your rotation site and probably be able to make arrangements to get more experience with the experience you want.

I'm a fourth year at UNECOM, and wanted to get more IV experience, so during my EM rotation, I asked to if I could do stuff with the IV team. That's how I got more experience with IVs. Most places I've gone are very willing to let you do stuff if you show interest and motivation.

Wook

Shyrem and wook,

Thats pretty much what I figured. I am a very hands on and eager type of person. When I was shadowing, I was asking whats that and how do you know that. I got a assist in a minor surgery (pretty much hand the doc the tools he told me to), observe physicals of both men and women (I felt a enlarged liver, heard a heart murmor, and felt a lump in a breast), and do histories of patients under the supervision of the physician. I dont know how many of these things I should have been able to do according to HIPPA but it was awesome nonetheless. Additionally, when I worked in the hospital as a phlebotomist, I performed venipunctures, assisted in putting in IVs, and helped the nurses in the nursery whenever I could, mostly cause I love babies :D So I am probably going to be one to jump right in there and try my hardest to get involved. It is good to hear that UNECOM students are pretty involved though. Thanks guys.