Importance of pre-clinical grades for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetcoat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current first year at a DO school and we have a P/F curriculum but are divided into tiers (Tier 1 90-100, Tier 2 80-90, 70-80). I am currently at an 88% average (so tier 2) and am hoping to match competitively in IM. How much will this hinder me and overall, how much does the pre-clinical grades stage play a role in matching? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard it doesn't hurt you unless you are bottom quartile. I think your tier helps, but it definitely does not hurt. Your board scores/evaluations/LOR are what really matter. Although this is just based on what I have heard, I'm not part of any admission process.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current first year at a DO school and we have a P/F curriculum but are divided into tiers (Tier 1 90-100, Tier 2 80-90, 70-80). I am currently at an 88% average (so tier 2) and am hoping to match competitively in IM. How much will this hinder me and overall, how much does the pre-clinical grades stage play a role in matching? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Aim for no fails. Only ranking that really matters is top quartile vs bottom quartile, or if you are ranked on your MSPE. Otherwise focus on board scores, scholarly activity, and good letters of rec.

I was bottom quintile because of a preclinical failure and I’m 90% sure that’s why I didn’t match anesthesiology. Don’t fail and you should be fine. Although I did match IM