Clinicals- What to Wear? & what not to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnlyAnEgg

beastmode on!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have looked around for something about suggested clothing for the wards on the forums but have yet to find good advice. I did find a couple of threads about footwear, but nothing yet about recommended clothing.

I am going to be starting rotations this fall and am wondering what clothes you all recommend for looking professional. I bought some button-downs when i started med school (i did work/study during undergrad but never real work), but i loathe needing to iron my shirts b4 i step out the door. I also think it is unrealistic for me to spend a ridic amount of time getting ready - dry my hair and all that jazz and then spend additional time on ironing....- if i need to get to the hospital for pre-round at 6/7am

Are basic t-shirts w/ slacks acceptable workwear?

Can anyone recommend brands/clothing lines they like for hospital-wear?

And bonus points for less expensive brands (not looking to max out on loan $)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do high heels (especially not on surgery rotation, but probably not a great idea for your feet on any service where you will be doing a lot of standing). If you want to wear a skirt it should be longer than your short coat (no flashing your panties when you bend over). If you wear a V neck, check what it looks like when you are bent over a patient. Unless you like giving a free show you may need to add a camisole or something. If you are well endowed, avoid tight or clingy tops (unless you want to make your mark as "that student with the great rack"). Keep your tummy covered regardless of how great your abs look. If your bra is visible the top is probably not good for the hospital. Same thing if your pants are so tight your panty line is visible.

You can iron your button down shirts ahead of time, or find a place that launders and presses shirts for cheap (never understood why guys shirts can be done for 99 cents but they wanted to charge $3.50 for mine-it's not like they had ruffles or were lace or anything). Most of the clothes I wore were either collected over the years I worked before starting med school, or were obtained inexpensively. I had to get new pants because my bottom half evidently grew more than my top half. I found an outlet van heusen store that had pants in different lengths that worked out best for me (other wise I would have had to hem a bunch). Unfortunately Mervyns is now gone, but they were good for button down shirts that came out of the dryer looking good enough to wear without ironing. I have a few from Target that are similarly inexpensive, but are more prone to wrinkling unless I am really careful about pulling them out of the dryer before it stops tumbling. I have a bunch of fitted (not tight, but not like the ones that come in plastic packages) t-shirts, that I eventually started wearing after I saw other people weren't super dressed up. As long as they aren't faded, wrinkled, or stained it is probably fine with your white coat on and a nice pair of slacks. I have some from Walmart, Target, and even Costco I think. Ross, Marshalls, other similar stores are good options. If you want to get a little fancier you can go to Loehmann's if there is one in your area. I worked there and enjoyed my discount greatly especially when I was employee of the month (50% discount) during red star clearance (up to 40% off).

One option for the more adventurous (or the more broke I guess) is to head to a thrift store in a nicer part of town. The selection will vary based on what people in the area don't want, so in the rich part of town you might find more stuff that is perfectly fine but somebody just got tired of.

If you want to spend the bare minimum get two or three slacks in neutral colors, and the minimum amount of shirts you would need in between laundry days (You don't have to wash the pants every day as long as they don't get stuff on them and you are clean-if that idea grosses you out then get the same amount of pants and shirts). Just mix and match and no one will realize you are repeating.

I was never a fan of button downs. I usually wore elbow or 3/4 length "nice" t shirts or woven tops or thin sweaters with pants. You can find some nice "cheap" jewelry at Kohls or Target. I'm a big fan of those two places, even now. I only wore a couple skirts in the summer. You will more often than not have a white coat on. It was hot where I went to medical school, so I ever wore any more than one layer underneath the wc.

Don'ts: slutty clothes, short skirts, open toes, lots of jewelry, ANY perfume (I think this is a huge problem in the hospital), and in my opinion, don't wear a lot of makeup, either.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think it is unrealistic for me to spend a ridic amount of time getting ready - dry my hair and all that jazz and then spend additional time on ironing....- if i need to get to the hospital for pre-round at 6/7am

One more thing. You may be prerounding even earlier depending on the culture at your school. I found that the few extra minutes of sleep were worth no makeup and wearing my hair in a bun or ponytail. And when 4 am was when I needed to get there, I decided that a morning shower was not a necessity. You find ways to take less time in the morning.

I rarely iron because I hate it. I'm a big fan of the Downy wrinkle releaser spray. When your clothes come out of the dryer, spray a little on and hang them up immediately. Also, when buying your clothes look for wrinkle-resistant, permanent-press, or knits rather than regular cotton weave. A t-shirt under a cardigan is a nice, comfy (and no iron!) alternative to a button-down shirt.

Thank you guys for the advice!!! I'll be starting my clinical rotations this year! I'm really excited and nervous!
Just a few questions....
Can I wear tasteful jewelry? (Bangles, Necklace, Stuff w/flowers & pearls.. things that are in now?)
How about nailpolish? (What colors are 'allowed' and 'appropriate' other than neutral ones?)
THANK U SO MUCH!

Don't wear a bunch of stuff while you are on surgery. It might get stolen when you have to take it off to scrub in. Also, some surgery residents would look down of someone who is too done up (hate to admit it but my thought would be why are you spending so much time on how you look instead of (writing your note that isn't done yet, reading about the case we are doing and you couldn't answer a question in, etc). Nail polish is likely to be a no-no for scrubbing in (technically you are fine if it is "in good repair" at least at all the places I have been, but students get made to do all kinds of stuff that isn't strictly necessary in the OR because they don't trust you).

I would also keep it toned down for psych just to avoid patients hitting on you or trying to steal your stuff (but that might just be because I went to a pretty shady inpatient place for my rotation)

A lot of the other rotations tended to have nicely dressed and accessorized people. You could probably do a variety of nail polish with a hint of color. If you want something darker in a red, pink, or purple it might attract more attention but as long as you don't have really obvious makeup and a lot of jewelry it might look fine. Dark blue or green, black or bold designs may look out of place (but I doubt anyone will say anything to you)

Thank you DPMD :)

So, I guess, everything in moderation and use the 'less is more' philosophy. :)

Yeah, I hate to make it sound like we are a bunch of hags who hate the pretty young students.

I quit wearing daily makeup somewhere along the line in undergrad. I decided I preferred the extra minutes of sleep (even if it is just the five or so it would take to do powder, eyeliner, and lips). Same thing with trying to put together accessories with an outfit. If it weren't for the issue of hygiene I would consider not showering :oops:.

Just don't be the student that shows up in three inch heels and head to toe designer stuff and I think you will do fine.

A good general rule -- if anyone you work with remembers what you were wearing, you should probably tone it down. Be remembered as the student who did a great job taking care of patients ... not the student with the too-tight t-shirt, low cut blouse, heavy makeup, designer anything, flip flops, multiple piercings, etc. This is not the time to express your individuality. If you're debating whether something is "a little much", don't wear it. Minimal jewelry -- it tends to get in the way, and it's easy to lose if you need to take it off for procedures. Nail polish is forbidden in our hospital, as are long and/or fake nails.

Avoid a lot of jewelry on your hands. Remember, you are going to wash your hands and forearms after each patient contact. Anything more than a plain band ring and a wristwatch is too much, and even those are considered a hindrance to good hand hygiene. Chunky rings will make it hard to don your gloves, and you certainly don't need bracelets or long necklaces trailing across patients or catching any equipment.

Also, long earrings are irresistible to some psych, TBI and dementia patients.

I wear a very short necklace, tiny earrings, and a waterproof watch.

And a tiara on my birthday, but that's another story...

I know this is slightly old... but I'm starting clinical rotations next month and have some questions. What kind of watches do you guys wear? I know I need seconds, nice looking and waterproof and I just haven't found one that I like.

Also my wedding ring is wooden and I'm worried about it surviving the constant handwashing, should I just leave it at home?

I used to just get cheap watches from walmart or big lots so it was no big deal if it got wrecked or stolen when I took it off.

You could get a very sturdy chain and wear your ring around your neck. The alcohol handrub might be bad for the wood (not sure if soap and water would be that bad). Would also worry about it carrying bugs more easily.

I know this is slightly old... but I'm starting clinical rotations next month and have some questions. What kind of watches do you guys wear? I know I need seconds, nice looking and waterproof and I just haven't found one that I like.

Also my wedding ring is wooden and I'm worried about it surviving the constant handwashing, should I just leave it at home?

Most well made brand names (timex even) are waterproof.

I would ditch the wooden one for work. It may get damaged. My wedding ring was very old, and I worried about the effect of constant washing, latex, etc. I bought a cheap one at Sears (plain gold) and wore that at work. Or just don't wear one.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will just leave my wedding ring at home. The cheap ring is a good idea, but I'm not sure it will work for me as we chose the wooden wedding rings because I had some contact dermatitis issues with my engagement ring...