"Close Ties" Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted997355

Hey everyone! I'm applying to an out-of-state dental school and on the supplemental it says "Do you have any close ties to the state?"

What exactly defines close ties? My home state borders the state that this dental school is in and my family and I visited several times while I was growing up so there's a lot of fond memories in the state for me. I'm not sure if I should put that though. Any insight is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

close ties here mean if you have any direct family (brothers, sisters, mother/father, in laws, significant others) that tie you to that location. I think this school is a public instate school right? if so, it receives a part (for my school 50% of operating cost) from the state government, hence its mission is to make sure the graduates stay and work in that particular state after graduation to serve the state population.

what other more effective ways to make sure you will stay in that state other than you having direct families there because people tend to gravitate toward their family and work near their family.

Significant others work too but if you have no kids, it is very easy to move away after graduation. Hence, if you can show you have extended family line there, it will give you more strength to be considered.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you have family there?
Does your SO have family there?
Do you have a ranch there?
Do you have a vacation home there?
Do you volunteer there?
Did you go to school there?
Do you know 100% you want to practice there?
Did someone from that state save your life somehow?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
close ties here mean if you have any direct family (brothers, sisters, mother/father, in laws, significant others) that tie you to that location. I think this school is a public instate school right? if so, it receives a part (for my school 50% of operating cost) from the state government, hence its mission is to make sure the graduates stay and work in that particular state after graduation to serve the state population.

what other more effective ways to make sure you will stay in that state other than you having direct families there because people tend to gravitate toward their family and work near their family.

Significant others work too but if you have no kids, it is very easy to move away after graduation. Hence, if you can show you have extended family line there, it will give you more strength to be considered.
Thanks! So should I stay away from answering this then? My only ties are frequently visiting so I don't know if I should even put that.

Thanks! So should I stay away from answering this then? My only ties are frequently visiting so I don't know if I should even put that.

if you don't answer, they will just assume you have little to no tie and skip on you. for this instant, does your significant other have a job lining up there? your response must be stronger than frequent visiting.

back when I applied, I put I have a cousin living in the area and heard crickets.

if you don't answer, they will just assume you have little to no tie and skip on you. for this instant, does your significant other have a job lining up there? your response must be stronger than frequent visiting.

back when I applied, I put I have a cousin living in the area and heard crickets.
Okay, thanks. The only other thing is that my brother, a recent engineering graduate, is applying to jobs in south carolina with the hopes of moving there because he grew up loving it like I did. I guess I will just be honest and hope for the best even though I do not have any significant ties as of now.

Reactions: 1 user