Closing Fellowship, CMS Funding

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

husky48498

Reaction score
Hello,

I need help and advice!

I matched into a Med Onc Fellowship program (2 years) and was supposed to start this summer.However, the fellowship will be closing before I start. I applied to another fellowship (Heme/Onc, 3 years) after I unmatched from this Med Onc program and got accepted. HOWEVER, there is an issue with the CMS funding. The CMS representative states that CMS funding cant be transferred from the Med Onc Fellowship to the Heme/Onc Fellowship because "it is a different specialty". So, basically, I DO NOT HAVE FUNDING. Obviously, the Heme/Onc program that is creating a new spot for me, cant take me without any funding.

Does anyone know what the CMS regulations are regarding this? I have a feeling that is statement about different specialties is incorrect.
How do residents change specialties and funding follows them? I do not understand why the 2 years of funding can't follow me to the new program and cover 2 years of training.

Please help! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they don’t have a funded spot and you can’t bring your funding of your old spot with you because you didn’t start yet AND it’s a different specialty (vs if you had started, got orphaned, and transferred with funding).

that’s different than the question of if an individual is full funding eligible within a funded spot. There is no funded spot for you at the new program.

(I say this as a graduating M4 who tries to be informed about things, not as an expert.)