1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Closing of the residency program!

Discussion in 'Pediatrics' started by santa_claus, Apr 5, 2007.

1. santa_claus

santa_claus Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey everyone, I really need your advice! Here is the gist of the story: my sister is doing a peds residency in NYC. Yesterday, the urgent meeting was called and the residents were told that the program is closing in 2008 due to the "lack of funds". Basically, they were told to go and find themselves another residency :thumbdown: My sister will be able to finish her second year there but she has to find herself a new home for the final year! She is pretty devastated and I feel really sorry for her. I was wondering if any of you ever found yourself in similar situation, or know anyone who did, and what is the best course of action to take? How difficult it is to find another residency? Is it possible at all? I am particularly worried that maybe other hospitals will be reluctant to take an outsider, even though my sister had stellar scores on the board exams.
    Thanks for any advice!
    -lk

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bernardo_11

Bernardo_11 I like Popeye's Chicken.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Which hospital is this? Is it a small program?

4. shane_doc

shane_doc New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think your sis should call around to other local programs to see if they have the money to accomadate other residents. Is her program helping out at all? They should call and get leads for their residents. It's the least they could do.

5. Peds_MD

Peds_MD I'm almost there...

Resident [Any Field]
    I am actually in the same position currently.In our case,they didn't give us a 1 year notice...we were told in January this year that the program would be closing due to financial reasons on June 30 and we all had to find new places to continue in July this year.

All but 1 or 2 people have been able to find slots...the others are still looking but it's hard especially if you have restraints like not being able to move to another geographical location.One person actually decided to drop peds altogether and has found a spot in another specialty.

I guess the earlier your sister starts looking the better her chances of finding a good position in time.I wish her all the best.It's a very devastating thing to happen to anyone's career.

6. learnin2breathe

learnin2breathe Super duper
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hey there santa claus. I'm so sorry to hear about your sister! I recently completed a NICU rotation at a hospital in Queens where during the course of my 4 week rotation there were a number of applicants that came to interview for a 3rd year position in their Peds residency program. Apparently this hospital had open slot(s) available, so it's not completely unheard of to get into another program for the final year. No worries, I'm sure your sister will be able to find a final year position without too much trouble, especially if she had great scores. :)

7. santa_claus

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey all! Thanks for the input! It is a small program in Brooklyn...ummm, not sure if I can say which hospital it is here...anyway, the school is not bending over backwards to offer help--which is hardly surprising, medical education is a crappy road from start to finish. But from what you say, Peds_md, it can be worse, I mean, your program really screwed you over! Best of luck finding a new--and better--place :luck:
    So I'm going to tell my sister to get off her butt and start looking for a new place ASAP!
    -lk

8. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    LICH?

Ed

9. santa_claus

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You know about it, Ed, huh? Hope you're not one of them!

10. fusionid

fusionid Member
    7+ Year Member

Here in Norcal a community program closed while I was in my 3rd year rotation. The residents, of whom I happened to know 2 of them were rotating at my medical school. One of them was repositioned at Standford and the other one got a spot in my institution. It seemed like it was no big deal for them at all. For some odd reason I would not be worried at all. Spots open up in residency programs from time to time or certain programs are able to accommodate. I think your sister will be just fine specially living in NYC. :D Though I would take the opportunity to relocate to CA. ;)

11. Faebinder

Faebinder Slow Wave Smurf
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  12. Bernardo_11

Bernardo_11 I like Popeye's Chicken.
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I agree with a lot of what was said above. Basically, some pediatric programs are desperate. Interns are leaving the field of pediatrics, or of medicine for that matter, enough times that a lot of programs become "bottom-heavy." Some have gone and recruited international grads who have not had a year in an american residency, yet come in as PL-2's (I personally know of one result which was disastrous). I'd ask around.... if there is no space, some programs are willing to find funding to have more upper level residents in their employ.

Regards,
    Nardo

13. Wheaties

Medical Student
    I just found out from my program in Las Vegas that there is a position open for PGY-3 if you're interested. Hope that helps and good luck on finding a residency.